It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do you install RTC into Eclipse Juno installation?

Keith Murray (1511217) | asked Apr 15 '13, 4:21 p.m.
edited Apr 15 '13, 4:29 p.m.

Looks like we have version compatibility issues when installing RTC client into an existing Eclipse( Juno)  Installation. It is a Juno 64 bit install error. Does anyone know what to do? RTC 4.0.1 and Eclipse Juno EE 4.2.1

Error description

3 answers

permanent link
Alex Fitzpatrick (5583816) | answered Apr 15 '13, 4:38 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Apr 16 '13, 8:17 p.m.
The problem is that because you're using the EE edition it already has a (recent) version of some of the parts of eclipse that are packaged with RTC.

If you try taking a more basic edition, like SDK, then add RTC. You will then be able to install the EE parts you need.

I did the following:
 - Download and extract a Juno Classic 4.2.2 zip.
 - Configured the JVM
 - Downloaded the RTC 4.0.1 p2 repository
 - Started eclipse and used the p2 repository to add RTC 4.0.1
 - Restarted eclipse
 - Used the Juno repositories to install J2EE and Webtool components
 - Restarted eclipse

With the resulting install I was able to connect to my RTC server, configure a tomcat server and create and deploy a dynamic web project.

Installed components:

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | answered Apr 15 '13, 8:58 p.m.
Instead of working on unsupported Eclipse, it's better you try with officially supported 3.7.x/3.8.
System requirement is: https://jazz.net/library/article/1109

Even though you have got 4.0.2.1 installed with RTC, there is some known issue in 4.0.2.1:
https://jazz.net/library/article/1157

permanent link
Canberk Akduygu (99237371) | answered Apr 17 '13, 3:05 a.m.
You can just create a folder named dropins under your eclipse installation and put RTC Plugins into it.

I always use dropins folder. It's much more easier. It will also help you with the upgrades too. You just removed that folder and put the new one.

Comments
Piotr Aniola commented Apr 17 '13, 9:18 a.m.

I would certainly not recommend using dropins.
This is an unsupported method of installing anything into Eclipse and can easily change into a total disaster if you're trying to install more than one product into Eclipse this way. In Eclipse support, we've seen more than one catastrophy caused by this.

Please note that dropins bypasses all the Eclipse bundle verification mechanisms, so if you're not 100% sure that all the plugins are compatible with each other, your Eclipse may end up not launching or not bringing the plugins up.

As already mentioned, RTC is not supported on Juno anyway, so using dropins to bypass this seems like a really bad idea.

Canberk Akduygu commented Apr 17 '13, 9:54 a.m.

Then it was my luck that we never had any bad crashes. I'll keep in mind about your suggestion  :)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.