It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Unable to create work item in web UI: Attribute 'Filed Against' not set.

Mamadou Diallo (31278) | asked Apr 11 '13, 1:06 p.m.
Hello,
I modified the Defect Type in our RTC v4.0.1 to use the same custom presentation for both RTC clients and the web UI. I removed all references to the 'Filed Against' attribute in my customized presentation. Creating a Defect works from RTC clients, but attempting to do so from the web UI generates the message:
Attribute 'Filed Against' not set. The 'Filed Against' attribute needs to be set (work item <11:54:19).

Any help is appreciated.
Mamadou Diallo

8 answers

permanent link
Fred Atwater (23810) | answered Jun 25 '13, 12:18 p.m.
If you have different terminology in you environment for describing the categories that are presented in the Filed Against field, you can still use the Filed Against attribute and add a Label that uses your terminology to the Editor Presentation . Users will see the term in the Label.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Apr 11 '13, 3:10 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
 I would also suggest looking into https://jazz.net/library/article/1093 lab 3 to 5. This is also of interest https://jazz.net/library/article/589.

permanent link
Mamadou Diallo (31278) | answered Apr 11 '13, 3:08 p.m.
The steps described in the link have resolved my issue (how to default a category). All my problems are now solved.

Thanks.

permanent link
Mamadou Diallo (31278) | answered Apr 11 '13, 1:40 p.m.
Oh, one more question. If in a project (say something like Documentation), the field is always going to have a single value, how does one assign it a default value (so users don't have to fill it out), instead of the system selected 'Unassigned', which does not allow a save?

Comments
Josh Crawford commented Apr 11 '13, 2:09 p.m.

There is a good step by step answer to this in the following forum post.

https://jazz.net/forum/questions/42540/how-to-default-quotfiled-againstquot-field-for-work-item

permanent link
Mamadou Diallo (31278) | answered Apr 11 '13, 1:37 p.m.
Thanks Josh and Indradri. Adding the 'Filed Against' attribute back has resolved my issue.

Cheers.

permanent link
Indradri Basu (1.8k1514) | answered Apr 11 '13, 1:34 p.m.
Hi Mamadou,

It is generally recommended not to modify or remove the system attributes as most of them has some very specific and important purpose. As far as I am aware, at a high level, Filed against can be used in queries to filter workitems based on team areas and it can also be used to implement granular access control by associating workitem categories to team areas to restrict work item visibility to particular team areas
Hope this helps

permanent link
Mamadou Diallo (31278) | answered Apr 11 '13, 1:15 p.m.
Okay, thanks Josh for the quick answer. The reason I customized the w/i config is because we want to use terminology that makes sense within our environment. I can put it back, but what does 'Filed Against' really mean? That way, I'd understand how we'd use it.

Thanks again.

Comments
Josh Crawford commented Apr 11 '13, 1:30 p.m.

Hi Mamadou

The filed against attribute is used to assign work items to a particular component for your product or project.  For example on Jazz.net we use categories like SCM, Build,  Planning etc.  You can read more about what it is and how to configure it here:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m1/topic/com.ibm.team.workitem.doc/topics/t_defining_categories_web.html

permanent link
Josh Crawford (984615) | answered Apr 11 '13, 1:10 p.m.
Hi Mamadou

Filed against is an important attribute in an RTC work item since permissions are controlled via that attribute.  It's not advisable to remove that attribute.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.