It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Insight, RAM,. CLM version compatibilities

John Stonehocker (1176) | asked Apr 10 '13, 9:51 a.m.
Just finished an Insight (v1.1.1.1) installation and integration with CLM 4.0.1 and RAM v7.5.1.1. What is the impact if customer moves to CLM 4.0.2 and RAM v7.5.1.2? Since the numbering would indicate minor upgrading of the product I would expect there would be no affect if they want to upgrade CLM and RAM.

Comments
Jeffery Hanson commented Apr 10 '13, 2:00 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

A follow up question/spin on this is:
What is the process/recommendation for migrating off of the embedded RTC 2.0.0.2 to RTC 4.0.2?
With RAM 7.5.1.1 we are required to have two instances of RTC setup (embedded 2.0.0.2 for workflows & RTC 3.x for integration). Now with 7.5.1.2 we can use one RTC 4.x instance. I want to get rid of the RTC 2.0.0.2 and just point my upgraded RAM at the upgraded RTC 4.0.2 server. I assume that at a minimum I will need to import the RAM process template into RTC and create the RAM Lifecycle project.

Rich Kulp commented Apr 11 '13, 10:03 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

You won't be able to just point RAM to a new RTC. There is a lot of data that is stored in the embedded RTC database. This information is stored per asset. Pointing to a different RTC will cause RAM to have many invalid assets. RAM 7.5.1.2's Server setup will automatically migrate the 2.0.0.2 to a 4.0.1. But since this will still be the same RTC using the same database RAM will have all of the correct links to the data stored in the RTC database for the assets.

There is no RAM supported process to migrate the data from one RTC to another RTC, maintaining all of the same UUID's so that  RAM doesn't have dangling pointers into the RTC.

If you do move to 7.5.1.2 it is imperative that you have a complete backup of your old system. The databases, the persist area, the WAS setup. This is because the RTC 2.0.0.2 to RTC 4.0.1 migration is very complicated and you may need to restore back and try again if there are failures.

Rich Kulp commented Apr 11 '13, 10:03 a.m.

(con't):

If your RTC 3.x that you used for integration is standalone in that you don't have other systems referring to internal UUID's within that RTC there is a new process in RTC 4.0.1 to move between databases. But we (RAM support) have absolutely no experience in this since it came out just as RAM was finishing up on 7.5.1.2.

Jeffery Hanson commented Apr 11 '13, 11:27 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Richard,

Excellent info! This helps a lot. Can you clarify for me your statement about RAM 7.5.1.2 automatically migrating from RTC 2.0.0.2 to RTC 4.0.1.
 > Is this only for the embedded version?
 > Will this automatically upgrade the embedded RTC?

I understand your statement "There is no RAM supported process to migrate the data from one RTC to another RTC,..." since this is a relatively new and involved process for RTC.

One answer

permanent link
Heidi Stadel (2861) | answered Apr 10 '13, 9:59 a.m.
The system requirements for CLM 4.0.2 lists the following as supported integrations:

IBM Rational Insight 1.1.1.1 and and future fix packs
IBM Rational Asset Manager Enterprise Edition 7.5.1 and future fix packs, mod levels and their fix packs
IBM Rational Asset Manager Standard Edition 7.5.1 and future fix packs, mod levels and their fix packs

Comments
Gili Mendel commented Apr 11 '13, 8:26 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Note that RAM 7.5.1.2 is out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4OweujWCWMA

This version of RAM is based on RTC 4.0.1 (for RAM's workflow).  It was also tested with 4.0.1 for integrations.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.