It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC Query to add work item comments/discussion area

Scott Raley (13542831) | asked Apr 08 '13, 2:51 p.m.
I have written a custom query for open work items but I cannot see in the column display where comments/discussion can be put into the query. I am allowed to use comments as a filter option but not as a display option from what I see. Is this accurate or is there a work around for this? Current running version is 4.0.0.1. thanks

Accepted answer

permanent link
Mark Guertin (5867) | answered Apr 08 '13, 3:08 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
This is not supported currently. If you are interested in this functionality, the following enhancement is open in the RTC backlog: Enhancement 167115. Please subscribe to that and provide your input.
Scott Raley selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Scott Raley commented Apr 09 '13, 9:58 a.m.

I put my request in to that RFE

5 other answers

permanent link
Nate Decker (37814161) | answered May 18 '15, 9:01 a.m.

You should be able to do this using the REST API, whether as a stand-alone application interfacing with CLM or with a report that operates on live data like a BIRT report or an RPE template.

Basically, you would execute a REST API query against the target workitem and specify in your XPATH that you want to see the comment information. Then your code would iterate over the comments and print the last one.

Refer to this site for an explanation of the REST API:

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/ReportsRESTAPI

permanent link
Ruben Sousa (065) | answered Aug 23 '13, 4:52 a.m.

Have you got any further in showing the comments in a report?

I'm working on an RPE Report where the customer needs to see the last comment on any defect.

It is possible to query the comments for defects in a given project area. However, I still don't have a way to select a specific comment out of the complete collection.

There is an attribute commentCount in the Workitem schema, but it doesn't seem to be linked to the comment itself.

Any ideas on how to select a single Comment to include it in a report?

Comments
Scott Raley commented Aug 23 '13, 8:11 a.m.

No I haven't. I have an RFE in now that is grouped with other RFE's to add missing objects to the query function. Supposed to be in the 4.0. 5 release

permanent link
Scott Raley (13542831) | answered Apr 09 '13, 8:04 a.m.
I have tried the report but the report template just points back to a query after you see a barchart. Since it goes back to the query I can't show the discussion/comment area. anyone have a sample report template to get the discussion area displayed?

permanent link
Daniel Toczala (88211514) | answered Apr 09 '13, 8:03 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Apr 09 '13, 8:04 a.m.
It makes sense when you think about it.  Comments and discussion are usually very long fields, with very dense information.  The type of information that does not fit well into a the single cell where it would need to be contained in a query.  Filtering on the comments makes sense, so I can search and do a query of all work items where people call me "Tox".  I am not going to be able to dump all of that dense data into a single display column for my query results.

Comments
Scott Raley commented Apr 09 '13, 9:57 a.m.

Sure but the discussion area is just like a forum so I should be able to export/print out some type of line by line with timestamp and person and put their comments. no different then doing a print screen from this, I get all the comment information. I can click on each task, print and I get all the discussion area with all other fields. But I want a report that will do this for all open tasks, not have to click one by one to get it printed or exported.

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Apr 08 '13, 3:16 p.m.
I don't think you can do that in a Query.. you would have to write a 'Report'

Comments
Scott Raley commented Apr 09 '13, 9:58 a.m.

Do you have a sample report because that is not working either for me.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.