It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to delete change sets after deleting a work item in RTC 4.0 OR How to disassociate a program from a work item and its change set?

S Gurugubelli (21710) | asked Apr 03 '13, 4:47 p.m.
edited Apr 04 '13, 3:02 a.m. by Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646)

Hi,

I have added 12 programs in one work item (ex: WI 1). All these 12 programs are in one chageset. (I have edited 12 source members. When they are all in 'Pending Changes' tab, I did 'Check-in-all' and assigned all of them to a work item and one change set').

I want to promote only one program to PROD system. When I use work item WI 1 to promote, it is promoting all 12 programs, since they are all associated with that work item and change set.

How do I dis-associate these 12 programs from the work item (WI 1)?

I have deleted the work item. When I check history (by right clicking on a program (in repository files)) on these 12 members, the change set is still there with no work item associated. It would not let me delete it. When I assign a program to a newly created work item (ex: WI 2), it assigning all remaining 11 programs to this work item also.

It there anyway I can split and promote only one program to PROD system, by assigning to a different work item?

OR

delete work item completely along with change set?

Appreciate you help!

Thanks,

Sekhar

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Apr 04 '13, 2:47 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
As far as I can tell the promotion is probably based on change sets assigned to work items. I don't know all the details, so I am guessing from basic RTC use cases.

If you have changes to 12 files in one change set, then you basically promote all these files. If you don't want to do that, you have to make sure that you only have the changes to one file in a change set. The best time to do that is before a change set gets completed. Use just one change set for changes to one file. You can achieve this by creating change sets and by checking in against the or dragging the change over if you accidentally checked into the wrong one. Once a change set is completed this is not that easy anymore.

I would assume you would have to undo the changes to the other files and use the original change set together with the new one with the changes undone. Then you would have to redo the changes to the other files and check them in in individual change sets. I am not sure about the best way to do this in your case.

I helped a customer with creating their own extension to prevent delivering change sets with more than one file being changed for a similar use case. Unfortunately it is impossible to prevent the checkin today. This enhancement request requests the capability to do that. You ,might want to add your interest.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.