It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

job scheduling in RTC

jyothi rachakonda (1145) | asked Apr 02 '13, 1:17 p.m.

Hi,

I have a situation where certain work item needs to be approved once created. As all users can not be given approval permissions (but can create that kind of work items), this task has to be done with a generic user  who has the permission. I want to define a trigger/listener (work item save) and a job scheduler for doing this task.Can anyone please help me how to define a trigger on work item save operation and invoke the job.

Thank you very much.

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Apr 04 '13, 2:17 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Can you describe your use case here? I seem to be unable to understand it from the description.

You seem to require an approval to be automatically approved by some background job.

But this does not make sense to me. Approvals are used as gating mechanism. An approval would be required to proceed in a workflow. So a required approval precondition is used that prevents something without approval. The approval gets added (can be automatic) and an approver is assigned (can also be automatic), so basically the user doing this needs the permission to add an approval to the work item. 

An approval can only be approved by the user specified in the approval.

Having an automation that approves an approval conflicts with the purpose of an approval. I would rather not require the approval at all or have certain roles that can override the required approval if needed.

Comments
jyothi rachakonda commented Apr 04 '13, 8:55 a.m.

Hi Ralph,

Explained above is true and I agree with you.
But in my case these auto approvals are needed for a project in "development environment".Approvals for the same project in "production environment" will be done through the normal approval process.
And also, as the number of users are more it was difficult to add all of them to project and assign the specific role to all of them hence proceeding with everyone(default) role. 

Please correct me if this approach is wrong and Please suggest me a way to do it.

Thank you very much Ralph.

Ralph Schoon commented Apr 04 '13, 9:08 a.m. | edited Apr 04 '13, 9:08 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Jyothi,

what do you mean with "Development Environment" and "Production Environemnt" with respect to the same project. Are you talking about different Streams and Teams you work against?

In that case I would suggest to configure the project in the development environment not to require approvals instead of spending a whole lot of money in creating an automation for a useless approval process. The key here is ownership.

Please carefully read https://jazz.net/forum/questions/107287/delivery-approval-precondition-for-specific-roles and the enclosed links.

Have a team area where work items are filed against that are production relevant. Have other areas that are only development. Have categories associated with the respective team areas. Configure the behavior for the production team team area to require an approval. Don't require the approval in the other team areas.

Any work item filed against the production team will require approvals. all other won't.

permanent link
Lauren Hayward Schaefer (3.3k11727) | answered Apr 03 '13, 6:55 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,
I'm not sure I follow your scenario.  It sounds like you want some action to be performed whenever a work item is saved.  You could write a custom follow-up action for the Save Work Item (server) operation.  https://jazz.net/library/article/495/ has information on how to do this.

Comments
jyothi rachakonda commented Apr 03 '13, 12:42 p.m.

Hi Lauren,

Thank you very much for the reply.

I did write the follow-up action to approve a workitem on save.But we had permissions problem. Here is the situation:

-a work item needs to be approved if it is created in a particular category (Ex., testCAT).

-testUsers(testRole) can create the work item but can not approve work item (testRole do not have "approve" permission).

-all the work items created by testUsers in category testCAT has to be approved behind the screen by a generic user (ex. admin)with out manually doing it for each work item.

So to approve those work items, planning to write a job using Plain java API  and schedule.

Thanks again Lauren.

Lauren Hayward Schaefer commented Apr 03 '13, 1:01 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

You're welcome!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.