It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Problem with passing exec.vars & built-ins to testMain().

Anthony Howe (133) | asked Mar 27 '13, 1:51 p.m.
retagged Apr 01 '13, 2:16 p.m. by Lisa Caten (342913)
RQM 4.0.1

Appears that passing of exec.vars and built-in variables on the java command line using -var  argument that contain spaces are not properly parsed.

The following command line seen in the Adpater Console:

1:27:17 PM Executing RFT command /opt/IBM/SDP/jdk/jre/bin/java  -Drqm.mode=true -Drqm.task="/tmp/RQMRFTTask8982188282226514612.xml" -jar /opt/IBM/SDP/FunctionalTester/bin/rational_ft.jar -datastore /tmp/RQMRFTProjects/82bba6a1/MA_ATI -rt.log_format xml  -iterationcount -1 -rt.bring_up_logviewer false  -execmode rqm  -execmodeargs download  -playback CLI -var "RQM_TESTCASE_EXECUTIONRECORD_NAME=snert-info;RQM_PROJECT_NAME=NETMAIL SECURE 5.1;RQM_TESTCASE_EXECUTIONRECORD_WEBID=1890;script=info.sh;RQM_TESTCASE_WEBID=1173;RQM_TESTCASE_NAME=snert-info;RQM_PROJECT_ALIAS=MPlusGuardian;RQM_TESTSCRIPT_WEBID=1180;RQM_TESTSCRIPT_NAME=Command Line Interface;testdir=/tmp"

At the top of  testMain() I build a log string to report the arguments:

public void testMain(Object[] args)
    {
        StringBuilder s = new StringBuilder("args: ");
        for (int i = 0; i < args.length; i++) {
            s.append("{");
            s.append(i);
            s.append(": '");
            s.append((String) args[i]);
            s.append("'},");
        }
        s.setLength(s.length()-1);
        logInfo(s.toString());

which is then reported in the RQM result output as:

args: {0: 'SECURE'},{1: '5.1;RQM_TESTCASE_EXECUTIONRECORD_WEBID=1890;script=info.sh;RQM_TESTCASE_WEBID=1173;RQM_TESTCASE_NAME=snert-info;RQM_PROJECT_ALIAS=MPlusGuardian;RQM_TESTSCRIPT_WEBID=1180;RQM_TESTSCRIPT_NAME=Command'},{2: 'Line'},{3: 'Interface;testdir=/tmp"'}

Its clear that the -var string is not properly splitting the string on the semi-colons into the Object[], but instead on the white space; probably would fail to handled a quoted literal semi-colon too.

One answer

permanent link
Vijay Patil (4813) | answered Apr 01 '13, 2:09 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Anthony,

I think, the way you are parsing the execution variables inside "testMain" method is not correct. RFT suggest to do that like this -

public void testMain(Object[] args) 
{
Iterator<IParameter> v = getVariablesManager().getAllInputParameters();
while(v.hasNext())
{
IParameter i = v.next();
logInfo("Param: " +i.getName() + " ParamValue: " + i.getValue());

}
}

Please check, if this helps, otherwise you might have to contact RFT support for this, as we cannot do anything from RQM side here.

Thanks,
Vijay

Comments
Anthony Howe commented Apr 01 '13, 9:41 a.m.

I have previously tried the method suggested and it fails to provide all the exec. vars and builts-ins when selected. This page...

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/rfthelp/v8r3/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rational.test.ft.doc%2Ftopics%2Fr_handling_rqm_details.html

Says variables are available through testMain() too. And they would work fine if the parsing of the -vars argument actually worked correctly.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.