It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What is the use of Tag Datatype while creating attributes?? How it is different from a normal string??

dhingreja rajkot (6179) | asked Mar 26 '13, 4:39 a.m.
Can anyone tell me what is the use of "Tag" datatype while creating attributes and how it is different from a normal string. Because in dashboard there is no change if i consider string or tag as a datatype.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Apr 02 '13, 3:49 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Amert, please read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag_%28metadata%29 about what tagging is.

Tagging is used in various area of CLM, not just work items. You can tag builds and other artifacts too.

There is a built in work item attribute 'Tags' of that type. I would suggest playing with it. Also follow See https://jazz.net/products/rational-team-concert/features/wi and search the text for Tagging.

Here is an example of a tagged work item with tags 'keep' and '4.0.2_candidate'.

You can create queries like for any other attribute. However, the tool knows the tags available and provides you with help selecting them.

Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Donna Thomas commented Sep 10 '13, 3:13 p.m.

THANK YOU for the wikipedia link! I needed the definition of a tag as well and never thought to look there!

2 other answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Mar 26 '13, 5:53 a.m.
A "Tag" attribute is an attribute that can be used for "tagging" work items with one or more tags. The built in Attribute "Tags" uses this type. It is used to tag work items with arbitrary information such as "M5_Build_Candidate" where the tag is a string without spaces. Tags are comma separated. You can query for tags.

The built in Tags attribute also supports creating a tag cloud from a query. It also supports specifying permissions to add or remove and add new or existing tags. This is not available for custom tag attributes, however, you can query custom tag attributes for existing tags.

So Tags is really a collection of string tags rather than a string. If you type a sentence, you will get a tag for each word and not the sentence. I would use Tags for their purpose to mark items with multiple markers.

Comments
Michelle Pinto commented Mar 26 '13, 6:38 a.m. | edited Mar 26 '13, 6:59 a.m.

I haven't heard of the tag attriubute before. Sounds good. Could you provide a syntax for the same?

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 26 '13, 6:51 a.m.

Michelle, the syntax, if you call it one is described above. How it is handled might differ in views, but basically you type a word without spaces. If the text you typed exists as prefix, the matching tags are displayed for selection.

This is a very common way of using Tags - like this forum does it too.

See https://jazz.net/products/rational-team-concert/features/wi and search the text for Tagging.

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 26 '13, 7:00 a.m.

Please be aware, you can also group by tags in plans. All these special things are however only available for the built in Tags attribute.

permanent link
dhingreja rajkot (6179) | answered Apr 01 '13, 2:29 a.m.
Please make me unserstand more clearly. I am not getting what is the use of it and how to create a querry for the same....????

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.