It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there a way to send a file in a BuildRequest/BuildDefintion to the Build Engine

Steve White (4021213) | asked Mar 15 '13, 9:58 a.m.
We are transitioning our build process to make use of RTC Build. What I want to be able to do is send a file to the build engine when a build is requested. This build file contains all the properties required for that specific build. I do not want to create individual generic properties for all the attributes in our build object, which is stored as a  serialized file and processed by our current build engine. Also there is a size limitation for the value in the RTC BuildDefintion property, which coverting our Build file into a text String(i.e. using MIME64) could exceed the limit.
In summary what I would like to be able to do is when the user does a BuildRequest for our BuildDefifntion and we gather our custom build data via the build dialog section extention and create our standard build file, is to be able to have the buildRequest/definition contain that file so when the engine receives the request/definition it will  have the build file for its processing since it already knows how to process the file..

Comments
Nick Edgar commented Mar 19 '13, 12:26 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Also there is a size limitation for the value in the RTC BuildDefintion property 

IBuildProperty.getValue() is a LARGE string, meaning it has a limit of 32K bytes (in UTF-8 encoding, so 1:1 for ASCII, less if using multi-byte chars).

3 answers

permanent link
Scott Cowan (966310) | answered Mar 15 '13, 10:11 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Steve,

I don't know if you can pass a file, but I wonder if you could write the file with the build result UUID in the name and pass a URL to that file to the build engine through a property value.

Just an idea.  I'm not sure if you can access the build result UUID at that time,
Scott

permanent link
Spencer Murata (2.3k115971) | answered Mar 15 '13, 10:15 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
 I don't think there is anything native to RTC that will do what you are describing.  There is a properties file entry in the JBE Build Definition that will write all the properties defined by the engine/definition combination and write them to a file at the given location.  But that still assumes that you have entered the properties into the engine or definition.  You could use that mechanism and then append the other properties that you didn't want to add directly into RTC, but that might be more trouble tracability-wise.

~Spencer

permanent link
Steve White (4021213) | answered Mar 15 '13, 10:24 a.m.
Thanks, we want to use what is native to rtc build. We have considered writing the file into the rtc library and passing its name(librbay info) in a property in the builddef and another option of using ftp and passing that information to the engine via a generic property in the build def. Those are backup options we have considered, but would like to avoid if native rtc build had a way to be able to attach a file directly within the build request/builddef framework.

Comments
Spencer Murata commented Mar 15 '13, 10:52 a.m. | edited Mar 15 '13, 10:52 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Yes there is no way to send a file natively via the build request as of now.  If you would like to enter a Feature Request then we can consider putting that in in the future.

~Spencer 

Steve White commented Mar 15 '13, 12:41 p.m.

Thanks, we will probably open a Feature request for this requirement.
Basically we want the BuildRequest/BuildDefinition to have the same ability as the BuildResult(attach a file(s) via ANT tasks or the api). We are already able to do that in our engine code and then retrieve/view the file(s) in the BuildResults View in the RTC client.
What is missing is the ability to attach the file(s) in the initial Build Request for the engine.

Nick Edgar commented Mar 19 '13, 12:23 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Adding a file contribution to the result at the time of request is one option.  I've added some info about this approach in your other topic: https://jazz.net/forum/questions/106348/accessing-buildresult-files-from-request-rebuild-action

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.