It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What is the use of arhcive option for enumeration values ?

Udaya Puthuraya (8811421) | asked Mar 13 '13, 5:06 p.m.
edited Jul 22 '13, 1:53 p.m.
I have custom enumeration   used by a custom attribute.  This custom attribute is used in a work item.
I archived one of the enumeration value, used by the  work item.
Archiving a value,  makes it not available for further use in the enum. attribute  drop down for the work item, which is expected behaviour.
It also prevents making any other changes to a  work item already using that archived value. 
Save operation  fails  for the work item for any other changes, with error message complaining about the archived value.

This seems like  bug.  Any thoughts on this ?

2 answers

permanent link
Eric Jodet (6.3k5111120) | answered Mar 14 '13, 8:54 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello,
I would not agree this is a bug:
- value is archived - meaning can no longer be used
- when you save a work item that was using this value, value is not found, error is raised
--> expected

This will ensure that the value for this attribute is changed to an existing and correct one.

On the other hand, I would not expect the UI to authorize me to save a work item with an invalid value - which is to me what an archived value is.

What do you think?

Comments
Udaya Puthuraya commented Mar 14 '13, 11:59 a.m.

Thanks for the comment.
I agree,  value is archived - meaning can no longer be used.

But When you archive  iteration used by the  work item,  you can still modify the other attributes of that work item, change the state etc.  and save it  with out getting any error with respect to archived iteration value.

For the same actions, why the   behaviour observed with archiving enum values is different ?  This means a work item that has archived iteration value, becomes read only. You can not make any changes to it.

Eric Jodet commented Mar 20 '13, 9:23 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hello Udaya,

sorry for my late answer.
I've done some testing and could not face the same issue as you described:
my archived value when used in an existing work item shows "in error" with a red cross.
However - I can change and save any value

Using RTC 3.0.1.5, steps 1 used:
- create an OS enum with Windows, Mac, Linux, Other
- add presentation - save
- created a Work Item with attribute set to Mac - save
- archive value Mac - save
- reopen the work item (tested with Eclipse and WebUI)
- OS attribute is flagged in error with a red cross
- change any value
- save
Eric: can save the work item
Udaya: can not save the work item

Is that correct?

permanent link
Udaya Puthuraya (8811421) | answered Jul 22 '13, 2:14 p.m.
edited Sep 19 '13, 10:29 a.m.
Hi Eric,
Sorry, Seems I did not get notification on your comment and missed to respond.
I saw the same behavior as you posted with respect to archived enumeration values.
That is the reason, I posted the question in this forum.
This behavior means, if a work item has archived enumeration value(this happens when enum. value used by a work item is archived),  You can not make any other changes to that work item, without  selecting a new value for the enum. value that is archived.

If you take the same scenario  on a work item,  that has archived Iteration("Planned For" attribute in a work item) value,  you can still modify the other attributes of that work item and save it  with out getting any error with respect to archived iteration value.
You can also test this by archiving "Planned For" value used by the work item,  just like you tested the enum. value  and you will see a different behavior.

IMO archived enumeration values already being used by the work item should be supported just like the behavior with archived "Planned For"(Iteration) values in the work item.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.