It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to export Database enumeration values when creating new project area

Udaya Puthuraya (8811421) | asked Mar 13 '13, 4:09 p.m.
Database enumeration values  are stored in the Database.
If we create a new project area, based on on existing project area that is using DB  enumeration values(Create a template from this project area  and use it to create a new project area)  then  DB based enumeration values are lost in the new project area.

Is there a way to export the Database enumeration values  to the new project area   from an existing project area ?

2 answers

permanent link
Rob Logie (33825041) | answered Nov 19 '13, 1:15 a.m.
I am seeing a defect where the definition of a Database enumeration is not being correctly exported into a process  template export  file that can be later imported into another RTC server.

I created a PA with a database enumeration.  I then exported the process template and imported it into a new RTC server.  I then created a project area on the new RTC server based on the imported template.
The problem is that the work items using the database enumeration are invalid. 
The definitions for the attribute using the imported database enumeration are correctly created in any Editor Presentations using the enumeration as well as any  "types and attributes" definitions using them.

However, no enumeration definition is created. The attribute definitions still have the ID of the database enumeration, but this now seems to point to a enumeration definition that does not exist...

I think that the export/import function should warn of these and leave the system in a valid state.

As a work around, I was thinking of manually recreating the database enumeration with the missing ID. Does anyone see any reasons that this strategy would not work to fix the problem ?

Comments
sam detweiler commented Nov 19 '13, 7:31 a.m.

Database Enumerations are NOT exportable and they are not shareable.

you must manually create database enumerations in all cases today.

Rob Logie commented Nov 19 '13, 3:59 p.m. | edited Nov 19 '13, 4:01 p.m.

That is a very unhelpful answer.

sam detweiler commented Nov 19 '13, 4:10 p.m.

yeh, we felt the same way.  support for Database Enums is very weak in the lifecycle of a set of projects.

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Mar 13 '13, 5:03 p.m.
as U discovered database enums are not supported in shared projects.

there is no current way that I know of to export the list. and if there was an external source, no way that I know of to  import that list into a recreation of the enum list in a new project area.

Comments
Udaya Puthuraya commented Mar 18 '13, 12:16 p.m.

Thanks for the quick response.

Udaya Puthuraya commented Sep 16 '13, 3:56 p.m.

If we create a separate project area using a template that contains DB enumeration,  do we have to recreate the enumeration id(not the values), so that the atrribute using that DB enumeration is usable in the new project area created from the template ? 
Is it also possible to populate this atrribute using DB enumeration through work item CSV import  in the new project area created from the template ? (Assuming user id. that is used for work item CSV import has the permission to create the DB enumeration values for this attribute)

sam detweiler commented Sep 23 '13, 10:23 a.m.

just to make sure, what do you mean by 'template'.  If you mean shared process area, then we discovered that Database Enums are NOT shareable.

If you mean you created a new project style template, I also believe the DB Enums are not copied into the Process Template.

I am not sure there is a way to export these DB Enum values, such that you can import them into another project.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.