It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Modified By, Modified Date and History

Tom Batting (757) | asked Mar 12 '13, 7:20 a.m.
 I am trying to figure out how the Modified Date and Modified By attributes link to the History tab. I have noticed that the attributes come standard in all types of work items however are not visible when looking at the WebUI or the Eclipse Client.  I know they are filled automatically and would like to understand how they link to the History? Is the history tab just pulling out the information from these attributes and presenting it in the readable format? If not, how does the link work? Thanks

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Mar 12 '13, 9:29 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Tom,

from looking into the API I know that the modified Date and the modified by are properties of the work item. You can access them directly. They are also accessible as attributes. The history tab however is computed. The work item changes and the states are kept in the database. The history tab computes the history from the states of the work item over time, as far as I can tell. I have however not yet tried what data is available on a historical state.
Tom Batting selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Tom Batting commented Mar 12 '13, 9:37 a.m.

Brilliant, that answers the first part of what I need. So now would you know what the purpose of the Modified Date/By attributes are? Isn't this information that same as what will be portrayed in the history tab? If so, is there any reason that we would need to use these attributes? Thanks

One other answer

permanent link
Eric Jodet (6.3k5111120) | answered Mar 12 '13, 9:45 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello Tom,
not sure my answer will be exactly what you're looking for, but trying anyway.
I checked the Eclipse client code - com.ibm.team.workitem.ide.ui.internal.editor.presentations.HistoryPart
and particularly the HistoryLogItem[] getHistory(IProgressMonitor monitor)
method.
1 - we ask the WorkItemRepositoryService to compute the history
(which returns a sorted Array of changes)
2 - we iterate through all ChangeLogDTO and resolve the information:
- modified by - we get the contributor from UUID
- modified date
3 - we create a HistoryLogItem from this information to populate the history

Hope it helps
Eric.

Comments
Tom Batting commented Mar 12 '13, 10:02 a.m.

Eric thanks for this...has cleared up exactly what I needed!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.