It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is it possible to create Test Cases that link to existing Test Scripts using the Excel/Word Importer in RQM?

Michael Walker (99215201157) | asked Mar 11 '13, 1:33 a.m.
retagged Sep 26 '13, 2:16 p.m. by Lisa Caten (342913)
I have a Project Area with several Test Scripts that I'd like to create matching Test Cases for using the Excel/Word importer.   I downloaded the Test Scripts to csv file and then planned to import at least Name and Description columns as Test Cases.

This part works fine but I'd also like to link the Test Case to the Test Script at the same time.  I have the Test Script ID value from the download csv.

Is this possible?

I found this in the Team Wiki for the Importer.  It sounds like it only works the other way around if the Test Cases already exist and you're importing Test Scripts to link.

I was able to use the sample where Test Scripts get created with matching Test Cases and linked together, but in my case the Test Script already exist

LinkExisting() modifier -  indicates a reference to the master test artifacts, content is the external id or the excel cell/column that stores the external id of the master artifact on RQM server.
i.e.
testplan links with testcase, then test  plan is master artifact and testcase is sub/child artifact.
test case link with test script, then test case is master test artifact, and test script is child artifact.
test suite link with test case, then test suite is master test artifact, and test case is child artifact.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Hao Wan (1.5k35) | answered Mar 11 '13, 2:04 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Michael,

for this scenario, you can using Link() modifier.

testcase.testscript=Link("test script internal/external id")

Michael Walker selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Michael Walker commented Mar 11 '13, 2:54 a.m.

Thanks for the quick response.  I was close, I was trying LinkExisting.

Below is how my .cfg file looks. Pretty simple but I just want to get it working first, then expand. Do you see anything wrong with what I have below?

The Test Script id is in column A in Excel.  I'm also referencing Column C which is the Test Script name.

// Start looking for test cases after row 1
testcase.XLSStartRow=1

testcase.dc:title=C
testcase.dc:description=C

testcase.testscript=Link(A)

testcase.XLSDelimeter=\n

Michael Walker commented Mar 11 '13, 5:46 p.m.

Thanks for the help....This worked:

urn:com.ibm.rqm:testscript:<id>

Sugam Mehta commented Jul 19 '13, 6:33 a.m. | edited Oct 23 '15, 10:17 p.m.

hi Hao Wan,
    I have a different scenario.
I have test cases already existing. I want to import testscripts from xls and link them to existing test cases.

Tried LinkExisting(B)
testscript.testcase=LinkExisting(B)

This says "Test case with ID XXX not found"

When I use
testscript.testcase=Link(B)

Only test scripts are imported but not linked to test cases.
Pls help

Regards
Sugam

N Z commented Sep 23 '13, 12:32 a.m.

Did you resolve this?

I'm also facing the same problem, and can't get it to work.

The documentation is abysmal! 

One other answer

permanent link
Vidya Malkarnekar (1.0k15) | answered Sep 23 '13, 10:21 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello Sugam  & N Z,

You can link existing testcases to new test scripts using the following line in cfg file:
testscript.testcase=LinkExisting(E)

Your Excel file will have the id of the existing test case in column E in the format
urn:com.ibm.rqm:testcase:<id>
e.g. urn:com.ibm.rqm:testcase:2

Hope that helps!

Comments
renuka vasudevan commented Oct 12 '15, 3:38 a.m. | edited Oct 23 '15, 10:16 p.m.

Hi Vidya,

Does the same thing apply to test suites. I want to upload new test cases which need to be linked to exisitng test suites( 120 and 140 are the artifact ids)

So i have my test suites in cell E2 , one below the other , using new line as follows

urn:com.ibm.rqm:testsuite:120
urn:com.ibm.rqm:testsuite:140

In config file i have the following syntax

testcase.testsuite=LinkExisting(E2)

But i find that this only links the test cases to test suite 120 and not to 140.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.