It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I solve severe Internet Explorer performance issues for an RTC 3.0.1.1 work item?

Andrew Trobec (49712144139) | asked Mar 08 '13, 5:02 a.m.
edited Mar 08 '13, 5:15 a.m.
 Hello,

I have an RTC custom work item that contains a lot of attributes.  There are scripted attribute customizations that work on these attributes, some of which are triggered during save while some are triggered during value changes.  In particular I have one tab in the WI presentation that contains over 400 attributes (yes I know it is huge, but this is the requirement).

When loading this mega tab in Firefox everything runs smoothly.  I can scroll up and down the page and insert values without any performance issues.

When doing the same thing in Internet Explorer 8 (the version listed in the system requirements for CLM 2011)  performance grinds to a complete stop.  Here are the symptoms:
  1. Before even loading the work item, I get the "A script on this page is causing your web browser to run slowly" popup and I have to click "No" to continue load.  Once loaded everything seems fine and the tabs containing fewer attributes are responsive and friendly.
  2. When I click on the mega tab with 400 attributes my laptop fan immediately starts going nuts as though all of my available system resources have suddenly been drained.  The scroll bar is unresponsive and choppy for about 15 seconds until, what I assume, everything has been loaded.  The fan dies down.  Every now and again there is a hiccup and the same thing happens.  This all occurs without even touching the attributes.
  3. When I begin interacting with the attributes (dates, text fields, checkboxes, DDLs) the browser cannot keep up with me.  If I select a text field the cursor takes 5 seconds or longer to appear.  When I click on a date field, the calendar takes about 15 seconds to load and IE stop responding altogether (sometimes it takes longer).  The same happens for a DDL.  Scrolling ceases to work.
To summarize, IE makes the work item's mega tab completely unusable.  In comparison, Firefox does not even show a hint of trouble.  Even Chrome (unsupported browser) runs perfectly.  I would tell all users to just use Firefox, but the corporate domain only supports IE.

Please could I have some feedback to help me manage and solve this problem?

Thank you and best regards,

Andrew

Comments
Ginny Ghezzo commented Mar 08 '13, 8:44 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Do you have the option of using IE9? 

Andrew Trobec commented Mar 08 '13, 9:03 a.m.

Hello Ginny,

I can test IE9 but it is not one of the recommended browsers for RTC 3.0.1.1 according to the system requirements document.
What implications would there be by switching to a not fully tested browser?
Regards,
Andrew

One answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Mar 08 '13, 7:17 a.m.
we also see significantly slower web UI performance with IE.(Also our 'supported' browser).

IBM has told us that there are improvements are in v 4.x, but that IE is the slowest performer of javascript, and the Web UI is almost completely javascript.

We tell our users to use Firefox or Chrome when interacting with the RTC web UI.

Comments
Andrew Trobec commented Mar 08 '13, 8:47 a.m.

Hello Sam,

Thanks for your input.  Unfortunately we cannot use Firefox or Chrome, so IE is the only option.  Did IBM give you any ways to solve the issue other than talk about RTC 4?
Regards,
Andrew

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.