It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RRDI 1.0.2 failed installation, CM-CFG-5034, could not load driver "oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver"

Kris Rovell-Rixx (36168) | asked Mar 06 '13, 6:22 p.m.
edited Mar 07 '13, 9:36 a.m. by Joseph Pesot (61)

How do I find which driver needs to be installed and where do I find it? Or is the error message misleading?

•  Problem:

http://localhost:9080/reporting/servlet

displays:

IBM Cognos 8

Content Manager

Build: 8.4.6023.0

Start time: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 4:12:46 PM EST

Current time: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 4:12:58 PM EST

State: Not running. See logs.

• cogserver.log:

10.135.82.20:9080            2208       2013-03-06 17:05:00.935                -5            Initialization_SESS            Initialization_REQ                                             Thread-45           CM         6023       1              Audit.cms.CM   StartService                                        Warning                               CM-CFG-5063 A Content Manager configuration error was detected while connecting to the content store.  CM-CFG-5034 Content Manager failed to start because it could not load driver "oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver".

10.135.82.20:9080            2208       2013-03-06 17:05:01.450                -5            pogoStartup       na           na           0              Thread-45                DISP       6017       1              Audit.Other.dispatcher.DISP.com.cognos.pogo.contentmanager.coordinator.CMBootstrap                getActiveContentManager          ContentManager                             Failure                <messages><message><messageString>DPR-CMI-4006 Unable to determine the active Content Manager. Will retry periodically.</messageString></message></messages>  

• Server details:

RRDI 1.0.2 installation

Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise SP1 64 bit, 4.00 GB (server is a VM)

Oracle 11g

Content store is on a separate system.

• Installation anomalies:

During the step that says :

1.    Copy the following Oracle drivers (ojdbc5.jar and ojdbc14.jar) from the [Oracle_installation_directory]/jdbc/lib/ directory to the [Rational_Reporting_installation_directory]/cognos/webapps/p2pd/WEB-INF/lib directory.

only ojdbc5.jar was found. (the same is true for another installation of RRDI 1)

Another installation instruction  step says to delete classes12.jar (at two different paths) and the file was not found to delete in either location.

• Cognos configuration says it can connect to the content store:

IBM Cognos Configuration -> Data Access -> Content Manager -> RICM -> Test -> (two green checkmarks)

Thanks,

Kris

One answer

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Mar 06 '13, 6:26 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
In general - you need to use a ojdbc.jar that is compatible with the version of Oracle you are using. You should be able to get the right jar file from Oracle.com.

You also need to make sure the system can always find the right jar file - there is an Oracle environment variable you should set (I don't have that info in front of me - apologies).

Comments
Kris Rovell-Rixx commented Mar 06 '13, 8:21 p.m. | edited Mar 06 '13, 8:23 p.m.

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for the quick response.

From the error message, I can't tell where Cognos expects to find oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver. I think you're saying the same thing. If I knew where the driver belongs, I could probably find the right one. I have another RRDI installation that works.

The instructions don't say to load another driver or to set an environment variable.

For the Oracle thin client, the instructions said to set Path to the client's installation directory. I downloaded the client from Oracle.

The Cognos Configuration tool connected with its test. It didn't at first until I found a driver for it. So Cognos knows about at least one driver.

However, I can't find any info to give me a clue how to proceed.

Thanks,

Kris

Kris Rovell-Rixx commented Mar 07 '13, 9:42 a.m.

I'm working with IBM through a different channel. I'm sure the fix will be easy once I find the spot that's missing a driver.

Thanks again for your response.

Kris

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.