It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Automating Command line adapter

Narender Aeron (122) | asked Mar 06 '13, 11:31 a.m.
retagged Mar 15 '13, 11:55 a.m. by Laura W. Hinson (16126)
Hello,

We are trying to move away from our customized solution to RQM and i am in the process of evaluating it .I have some questions if somebody can answer:

-I understand that using CLA , you can invoke a batch file(which we use to invoke o  to test) and it will run the test.But once the test will run ,how will the results be gathered by CLA e.g how will it tells us whether the test pass or failed.Like we used to go through event logs to see any error and fail the test if there was any error .Will we be able to do something like that with CLA or we will need to customized our scripts for that (this functionality was handled by our old solution)
- if i want to collect trace logs , event logs etc for the test will i be to place them on a shared location and is it possible to do that for every test without modifying our existing batch files like if we can do something with in RQM to do this.
- Does CLA licensing is per machine or can we install on any number of machine after we have bought the RQM
-How is it possible to automate CLA using Rest API's.So for example what i want to do is basically run some script and RQM should run the automated test which i want to control through my script.So i want to control the running of different test suites through external scripting using REST api's.I am not sure if that is possible
- Is Virtual cloud director supported through RQM ?
-If we directly use ESX , how  to deploy images automatically without doing manually through RQM console.Is it possible through REST API's
- Also how do we create environment on fly?Is it we have to create base images first and then give the path to those images in RQM through which RQM creates test cell environment when we run a test by running those images virtually.Or is there another mechanism involved regarding usage of images on fly.Because this was one of the argument i listened and could not understand how images are being created on the fly in RQM using different OS,client,run time parameters etc

Thanks
Narender

2 answers

permanent link
Ara Masrof (3.2k15) | answered Mar 08 '13, 2:02 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
This article may be helpful as well in regards to the command line adapter usage

https://jazz.net/library/article/809/

permanent link
Chenyue Gao (913) | answered Mar 08 '13, 1:56 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
First question:
You need to customize your script to retrieve whatever information you want from RQM by printing the  information to standard out and standard error.

Customize the commandline.properties file on the test target machine. A process exit code is mapped to the script Actual Results. The default mapping is as follows:
Exit code Script Actual Results
0 Passed
* Failed
40 Error
41 Incomplete
42 Inconclusive
43 Blocked
44 Partially_blocked
45 Permanently_failed
46 Deferred
Edit the commandline.properties file on the test target machine before you start the adapter. This file controls the Actual Results and can add text to be appended to the end of the execution results log. The text in the properties file has more information on how to update the file.

More information about CLM can be found at : https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.rational.test.qm.doc/topics/t_cmd_line_execution.html&scope=null

question 2
You can upload the logs as attachment to RQM.

Question 3:
There is no license for the CLA - so you can install away 

Question 4:
That is possible through Rational Quality Manager Test Automation Adapter API
More information can be found at: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RQMTestAutomationAdapterAPI

I'm investigating other questions and will answer them later. Thanks

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.