It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Where do I configure rtc project to enable 'Tested By Testcase, and Tracks Requirement' links? we do not use IBM products as providers

sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | asked Mar 01 '13, 11:33 a.m.
edited Mar 02 '13, 8:21 a.m.
I need to complete some integrations and want to use these link types, but I cannot get them to show up in any of the menus.
(they show in the links config section on eclipse in the presentation editor, but checking them all makes the link type dropdown empty (rtc.3.0.1.1)..

help

thanks

Sam

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Mar 03 '13, 1:47 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Sam, with CLM you would add a provider to the RTC project. This dialog is located on the Links tab of the project editor. I think in the web it is at the end of the default tab in the project administration page.

Comments
sam detweiler commented Mar 03 '13, 11:56 p.m. | edited Mar 04 '13, 2:22 a.m.

Do you mean the Associations? I don't see a place for Provider

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 04 '13, 2:24 a.m. | edited Mar 04 '13, 2:25 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Sam, yes I meant Associations. Registered applications that provide services show up when you select that dialog. I don't know what you have to do to make your integrations to show up here though.

Rosa Naranjo commented Mar 04 '13, 11:19 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The order is as follows: (1) create a friend relationship , then you can (2) add associations for providers via the project administration page. That is how the Lifecycle integration adapters work today in order to make integrations between HPQC, JIRA and Git with CLM available.  In the case of the adapters, it is the adapter that is friended and the adapter makes available the HPQC project or JIRA project as a possible provider association.

permanent link
Rosa Naranjo (2.9k11623) | answered Mar 01 '13, 4:41 p.m.
Sam
What do you use as providers? If these are OSLC providers then perhaps a friend relationship and then a RTC project association can be established.  If you edit the project area of your RTC project, go to the Overview page and look for Associations at the bottom.  If a friend relationship has been established between the CCM server and an OSLC provider, then a project association can be added.  Then, I believe based on the association added, these OSLC link types will become visible.

Have you looked at the Rational Lifecycle Integration Adapter Standard Edition v1.0? These adapters provide integration between RTC and either JIRA, HP or Git.  See https://jazz.net/products/clm/features/clm_integrations
and
https://jazz.net/blog/index.php/2012/10/22/extending-your-rational-alm-solutions-to-third-party-tools-with-the-ibm-rational-lifecycle-integration-adapters/

Comments
sam detweiler commented Mar 02 '13, 8:35 a.m. | edited Mar 03 '13, 10:41 a.m.

thanks.. we use HP/QC, but the Rational Lifecycle Integration Adapter doesn't really handle the required workflow.
and the Product mgmt/Requirements Mgmt tool is something else and we have Service Cloud for the support side ... and ...

so, as we roll out more of the overall business process we need more synchronization with some linking.  Linking just doesn't do it.

and example

New development,
   developer checks in code, and marks his task implemented, this drives auto build and test.
    the tests however fail.

we need a defect to document the failure (linking to the testset/case in QC, but some of the data has to
     some over too, product, release/build, ... etc),
     and a link to it from the Task, the task state has change to re-opened.
    this could be a Story as well.

customer support.
customer reports an issue, and a defect is opened, and the code gets checked in as above on that defect workitem, well, you don't want ANOTHER defect..but its state still has to change.

so we have been looking at other integration strategies.. IBM now OEMs the Tasktop Synch tool for some integration points. Kovair Omnibus is another integration tool.  Both use the friends interface.

Maybe there is some attribute on the friends interface I am not aware of, that would enable these linktypes to become active..

the second problem is that if I manually select them in the presentation configuration, then the Add Link function becomes disabled. I suspect that is not intended.

there are all kinds of scenarios

sam detweiler commented Mar 02 '13, 9:53 a.m. | edited Mar 03 '13, 10:42 a.m.

On the adapter link, in the PDF.. I am confused

page 8,

Act 2: Tanuj opens a defect

While running tests in Quality Center, Tanuj finds a failure. He uses Quality Center to open a defect.
• Act 3: Marco triages the defect
Marco sees the HP defect in his RTC dashboard. He links the defect with an RTC development plan item and assigns the defect to Deb.

so it sounds like the developer, using RTC for source, planning, etc.. is NOT using RTC for defect mgmt. or maybe only sometime?
how an you do reporting thru RTC if you don't create RTC defect items? what happens when some items are in RTC and some are in HP?

Our model is the RTC developer sees the RTC defect, which is synched with the HP defect. the actual testcase is linked as Tested By. 

if there was a Story, it would have a Tested By that is the Test Plan in QC (test plan contains multiple tests)

when a Story is created in RTC from the requirements tool, a testPlan item is created in HP so that the QA person on the Scrum team has the backlog of work to do. The story and testplan should be cross linked via OSLC links (the story Acceptance Criteria content on the RTC (plan) side needs to viewable/editable from the HP (execution) side

the Release info from the requirements tool also creates the HP/QC project (which will contain the test plans, etc)

there should always be linkage from test content in QC to plan content in RTC.  The users should not have to manually create very much of that.

so, again the user works in their domain tool. but there is copying/synching required

Rosa Naranjo commented Mar 04 '13, 11:30 a.m.

Sam
In order for the link types to come up, you do have to friend the application (either the lifecycle integration adapter, or tasktop sync or an app that is an OSLC provider), then you have to add the provider as an association in the RTC project admin page.

Yes, in the scenario for the adapter, it is using HPQC for test mgmt as well as defect tracking.

Reporting via the DW is not currently supported for those items not in CLM such as HPQC artifacts (test, defects, etc).  But, you can add HP Open social gadgets/widgets to a CLM dashboard and use that as a reporting mechanism.

If you want synch capability, you really need to explore the Tasktop edition of the adapters.  Here is the link to the infocenter:  http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/rliathlp/v1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rliatasktop.doc%2Ftopics%2Fc_rliateovr.html

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.