It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC 4.0.0.1 & Visual Studio & Deployment

Len Stockdale (1412123) | asked Feb 28 '13, 11:41 a.m.

Hello.

I know this may sound a silly question but can you use RTC 4.0.0.1 to package and deployment Visual Studio projects.

I am testing the Eclipse client for VS and have successfully created a build of a project. There does not appear to be an option to Package and Deploy the project.

Thanks

Len

Comments
Tim Mok commented Feb 28 '13, 3:54 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Can you clarify your question? Are you using the Visual Studio IDE with RTC installed to develop your Visual Studio projects? Or are you using the Eclipse client to manage your changes for your Visual Studio projects?

In any case, there is support for Visual Studio so you can manage, develop, and deploy your projects from the Visual Studio IDE.

Len Stockdale commented Mar 01 '13, 4:46 a.m.

Tim

Thanks for the reponse.

While evaluating the RTC and Visual Studio I am using both the Eclipse client and the VS IDE.

I have successfully produced a build of my VS project but now I want to test the package and deployment and cannot find any option to achieve this.

Is it possible to use RTC to package and deploy VS projects.

Thanks

Len

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Mar 01 '13, 5:00 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Len, I have few experience with VS these days, however from my perspective with respect to build and deployment it boils down to.

• Do you have a tool that can package up the application for deployment
  • Do you have a tool to run deployment against some machine
RTC Builds run (for example) on ANT. If you have a tool that can package up your VS build for deployment, run it from ANT. If you have a tool that can deploy the application on a machine, run it from ANT.

Today RTC, out of the box, does not provide you with built in tools to do that with Visual Studio. The same applies to Java by the way. If you have tools for that and can start them from ANT or any other means accessible from within a build, you can use them by adding the required steps in the build script. 

Comments
Len Stockdale commented Mar 01 '13, 5:15 a.m.

Ralph

Thanks for the response.

So I will need to use to ANT to deploy my VS project. It's a pity as it would have been nice to use the same tool (RTC) from source control all the way through to deployment.

Thanks

Len

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 01 '13, 5:54 a.m.

Hi Len,

if you drive your builds with ANT you would use ANT. If you use the command line, you would use that. Whatever tool you use to orchestrate the build and that is capable of calling your packaging and deployment tools for your platform would work. RTC just has built in ANT tasks to report build progress and results back.

We support a lot of architectures with RTC and, from my perspective, it is pointless to try to reinvent all the special tools for all these architectures to be able to claim it is only RTC doing the magic. I think it is fair to say that RTC can call build tools that use whats available.

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 01 '13, 6:14 a.m.

There is an effort to provide more automation: https://jazz.net/products/smartcloud-continuous-delivery/ but even in that context, I would assume you would use the built, compile and packaging tools available to you in conjunction with the solution. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.