It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC/Tomcat memory leak

Jeff Foege (45266960) | asked Feb 21 '13, 4:07 p.m.

I seem to encounter a problem with RTC failing to respond once every couple weeks. The result is tomcat has sucked up all the available memory leaving RTC with nothing to use. I usually have to stop the service and wait for it to clean up. I checked the log and found this message...

SEVERE: The web application [/jazz] appears to have started a thread named [Thread-6597] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak.

Um, yes I would say so. This severe error didn't appear until I stopped RTC and waited for it to clean up. Like I said I seem to have to deal with this memory leak on a regular basis. Question is what do I do about it. I don't like the idea of having to stop and start the service on a regular basis.

Comments
Pavithra Kasturirangan commented Feb 23 '13, 5:17 a.m.

Hi,

We have dealt with lot of performance related issues with Tomcat.

What is the JVM allocation in your server startup file ? Did you check increasing that ?  How about the threads setting in server.xml... You may even try increasing the threads and see if that helps....

One answer

permanent link
Kevin Ramer (4.5k8183200) | answered Feb 22 '13, 5:59 p.m.
I've been doing admin for a good while.  I'm finding there's no such thing as too much memory.  But if your JVM is exhausted you should see Out of Memory exception in the jazz.log.   I've caught my share of them and having run their heap-dumps through a heap analyzer, the major culprit is BIRT holding 4-5G of linked list entries.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.