It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Progress in cross-project plan not shown?

Jana Grgic (15124) | asked Feb 21 '13, 12:28 p.m.
I'm using cross-project plan where my epics link (using tracks) to other project's epics. My project plan shows no progress for any of the linked epics, even when completed, only for stories and tasks that are in my project area only.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Feb 22 '13, 12:48 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Cross-project plans roll up schedule information, but currently do not roll up progress or load.  This functionality is requested in Cross project plan does not consolidate progress/load from tracked workitems in the plan details (211799)
Jana Grgic selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Feb 22 '13, 2:37 a.m.

Thanks Geoff, I had only played with task work item effort roll up and had not realized that complexity is not rolled up.

Jana Grgic commented Feb 22 '13, 7:28 a.m.

I also think that Epics should show progress as a cumulation of all story points contributing to it.
The way I would imagine this to work would with cross-project plans is to show progress on each one of the contributing epics plut the cumulative progress of the top-level (cross-project) epic. Currently one can only see story points done if a link is to a story. That is a bit too low-level for a lot of my apps

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 22 '13, 7:35 a.m. | edited Mar 07 '13, 4:28 p.m.

Cross Project Plans don't solve all problems. The roll up data from a plan snapshot. They don't roll up across several plans,e.g. if you have work items in an iteration plan that have children in other plans, their effort or progress is only rolled up if you trace the items on the other plan.

You can achieve something in that direction using http://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2012/07/31/rtc-update-parent-duration-estimation-and-effort-participant/ . The question is only, does that scale for a lot of work items with deep hierarchies.

One other answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Feb 21 '13, 12:45 p.m.
edited Feb 21 '13, 12:48 p.m.
Jana,

please see https://jazz.net/library/article/1152 for an introduction of how cross project plans work. You have to create a planned snapshot on the iteration plans that show the tracked Epics. That stores the current planning and makes it available for roll up. In addition, the cross project plan must track said iteration plans.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.