It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I get a burndown in cross-project plan?

Jana Grgic (15124) | asked Feb 21 '13, 12:21 p.m.
I have to track progress across multiple projects so tend to create cross-project RTC plans. They tend to be top-level epics linking into project's epics. I can not get burndown to show any progress, all I get is

No open work items with estimates specified were found.

Even though the items that are linked to the cross-project plan have estimes, even the cross-project plan itself has some stories and tasks which are estimated.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Guido Schneider (3.4k1486115) | answered Feb 21 '13, 5:14 p.m.
The use case of the link type "Tracks/Contributes to" is very limited. More or less just for accumulated time in the GANTT chart. E.g. There is no sum up of stories/hours etc. for progress tracking over project area borders.

I wrote an enhancement request last year about this:

https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=216482

The current implementation for Cross-Project-Plans is from my point of view for Agile projects useless. (I'm happy if somebody can tell me the opposite).

If you really want to have such a burndown, I suggest to use Parent/Child link over Project Area border. Some functionality is better implemented with usage of "Parent/Child" than the "Tracks/Contributes to". To get the graph do the report by yourself in BIRT. Maybe you can quite simple expand the Advanced Burndown chart or another BIRT report to catch the workitems from multiple project areas.

Jana Grgic selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Jana Grgic commented Feb 22 '13, 7:31 a.m.

Indeed, the functionality related to anything cross-project is very limited. The recommendation for the cross-project links is to use tracks-contributes to so I'd like to stick with that even if it means no burndown for now.
How would one go about pushing for resolution on this?

Guido Schneider commented Feb 22 '13, 8:36 a.m.

Add comment to my enhancement request. Push IBM to understand what you mean in terms f Cross-Project Plans.

2 other answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Feb 21 '13, 12:51 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Jana, I am not convinced that it is possible to get a burndown in the cross project plans. You can get a burndown in your iteration plans you track, but the cross project plan is merely to give you the capability to look at what is going to happen across projects and teams/timelines as far as I know.

permanent link
Rafael Pirolla (1649) | answered Jan 25 '16, 2:09 p.m.
Are there any out of the box cross project report in RTC? I could not find any.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.