It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to start using RTC SCM for Dummies

Duzgun Aral (1122) | asked Feb 20 '13, 6:24 p.m.
Hi,
I've been looking for basic information but after spending a lot of time on the jazz.net forum I really couldn't find it. All the information here about SCM is either Eclipse based, or about the JUnit example based or theoretic explanations of terms. Below is a scenario that I just would like to test on my system to get used to using RTC SCM but I got stuck. If anyone could explain it I'm sure many people will benefit from it. 
I am a Configuration Manager. A project manager comes to me and tells me that he created a Project Area on the Jazz Server and she wants me to take care of the SCM part. Server and RTC Client versions are 4.0.1. Operating Systems are Windows. I am a member of Project with Developer license. 
I have on my hard drive a folder that has sub-folders and files. The sub-folders under the root folder are for each component in the software. I am using the component word here as a software component part of the software not as the RTC SCM Component, which probably is the same. These component folders are NOT eclipse projects or even VS projects. They are just good old code written in a regular text editor, on the file system as plain files. There will be 3 developers working on this project. 
The project workflow will be:
1. Develop towards Version 1
2. Integrate 3 developers' work
3. Test 
4. Build
5. Beta Release
6. Release Version 1
7. Start development towards Version 2 similar to Version 1
8. Start bug fixing for Version 1 and deliver these to a release called Version 1.1 and to Version 2. 

I need to create Streams, Components, Workspaces, Flow Diagrams, Baselines, Snapshots, Sandboxes and I need to Add the Files to the repository.
Where do I start?

I tried creating a Stream called Version 1 and while creating that stream I added a new component called Component 1. Then I created a Workspace called Version 1 Workspace that has the Component 1 component in it. Now I'm stuck. How do I add the files of Component 1 to the Component 1 component? How do I create other components? 

I know I may be asking too much but as I said I couldn't find a basic tutorial that would explain this simple workflow. If there is any, please let me know. 

Thank you. 

Comments
Duzgun Aral commented Feb 20 '13, 6:34 p.m.

If you don't have time to answer the whole workflow, you can just start with one step, someone else can continue from there and so on...

Geoffrey Clemm commented Feb 20 '13, 8:40 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The details of the guidance for putting your files under source control will depend on what RTC-SCM client you want to use to do so.  In particular, do you want to use the Eclipse client, the Visual Studio client, the scm command line, or the Windows Explorer (you could also use the Web Browser client, but that is more for document management scenarios where you are just accessing one file at a time).  Or would you like us to suggest which client to use?  (My favorite is the Eclipse client, for example).

Duzgun Aral commented Feb 21 '13, 10:20 a.m.

I'm in an environment where I have all clients. But for this example I will be using the Eclipse client. 

Duzgun Aral commented Feb 21 '13, 4:57 p.m.

After another day, I finally was able to add files to my component by "loading" my component to my sandbox (which I thought would be the same one that the shell client uses, but it is not, more confusion) . Then I copied files into the local folder but they never showed up in Pending changes. Then I notice the tiny little down arrow where I can actually select "Refresh Sandbox" and the file magically appeared. I checked them in and delivered them. I guess it is delivered to Version 1 Stream now. 

So am I doing this right? Would you create a Version 1 Stream or not? Would you create a Component 1 for a component of your software? What should be my next steps? Create the rest of the components and add the files to the repository? Then how do I label them as the Initial version of all files or components?

2 answers

permanent link
Stephane Leroy (1.4k149) | answered Feb 21 '13, 1:40 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Duzgun,

you mention you've parsed Jazz.net forum for a while.
Did you check the following parts of the InfoCenter ?

- Organizing projects into components and streams:
   http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.team.scm.doc/topics/t_scm_eclipse_components_streams.html
  -> Explains: how to create streams and components

- Lesson 6: Managing source code
  http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.team.concert.tutorial.doc/topics/tut_rtc_scm.html
  -> Explains : how to
            Create a Repository Workspace
            Author code
            Put your code under Jazz Source Control
            Deliver your changes to your team

- Lesson 7: Building with Jazz Team Build
  http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.team.concert.tutorial.doc%2Ftopics%2Ftut_rtc_build.html
  -> Explains : how to set up your build environment

I believe these ones could bring you some good insights wrt what you're trying to accomplish.
Hope this helps.

Regards,
Stéphane

Comments
Duzgun Aral commented Feb 21 '13, 4:52 p.m.

Hi Stéphane, 

Thank you for the links. I saw them before but I'm lost in terminology with these. It talks about Eclipse workspace which sounds very familiar with Repository Workspace on the "Eclipse" client. Or it talks about Package Exlporer but I don't have that tab. Well, I don't use Java! So even though they are giving some guidance, they are still not helpful. 
Regards,
Duz

Stephane Leroy commented Feb 22 '13, 5:56 a.m. | edited Feb 22 '13, 6:22 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Duzgun,

to get familiar with the Jazz SCM basics, I'd suggest you have a look at the Jazz Source Control FAQ .

Among other interesting stuffs, it provides a "A picture [..] (worthing) a thousand words" which I reproduce below - with some highlighting I've added to make particularly clear the relationships between stream, repository workspace and sandbox.

Hopefully you should now get a better understanding how these things articulate ?

Regards,
Stéphane

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Feb 21 '13, 11:56 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I think you'll want to use the Windows Shell client.

https://jazz.net/products/rational-team-concert/features/clients#shell

You're not developing in Eclipse or Visual Studio so the examples you've been looking at haven't described how to share content that isn't an Eclipse or Visual Studio project. You could also use the command line if you prefer but I think the Windows Shell client would suit you well.

Once you get your content shared, you can continue with your development and use the Windows Shell client to perform your SCM operations.

Comments
Duzgun Aral commented Feb 21 '13, 4:49 p.m.

I installed the Windows Shell Client and it looks like it can be useful. BUT:

1. I didn't see options to create stream or flow diagrams and etc.
2. If I just wanna create components add files and work on files this can be useful.
3. I am more confused now because now my Eclipse client points to a different Sandbox and my Shell Client to another. I guess they don't talk to each other. 

Tim Mok commented Feb 21 '13, 5:19 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Sorry, I didn't realize the limits of the Windows Shell client. It doesn't seem to support creating streams but you can certainly open a work item enhancement to get this feature.

You can use your Eclipse client to configure your streams, process, and permissions. Then your everyday work with source control can be done with the Windows Shell. Ignore loading and dealing with sandboxes using the Eclipse client. You'll use it for administration only.

For flow diagrams, you'll have to use the Eclipse client. I don't think you'll need to use this regularly though. It might help to visualize where you intend to flow your changes but I think most developers won't need this.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.