It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Any RQM/Jenkins integration materials?

lin liang (11123) | asked Feb 20 '13, 2:32 a.m.
I heard Rational DevOps was working on RQM/Jenkins integration.
Is there any place I can get more materials? I  want to know the architecture of the integration, what has been implemented  and how to integrate into jenkins environment

14 answers

permanent link
Michael Elder (611) | answered Feb 20 '13, 8:46 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Hi Lin Liang,

For RQM integration, there's a great article explaining what's possible with SmartCloud Continuous Delivery and RQM: https://jazz.net/library/article/1151 . 

For Jenkins, we have had an article in progress, but it's not complete yet. However, if you take a look at the Build Forge article, you should be able to adapt it to your needs: https://jazz.net/library/article/1187 

The basic flow for integrating a third-party Continuous Integration server like Jenkins requires:

1. At the end of any Build Jobs, you publish the application artifacts & automation scripts into the software library. The Build Forge/SCD article has a file in its sample project called publishAsset.xml to help with this. 

2. At the beginning of any "deploy/validate" Job, you'll check out content from your SCM into a scope where the running Jenkins Job can see it. Then, invoke the deployment into the cloud. Again, in the Build Forge article, there's a file called deployApplication.xml that can help with this. 

3. From here, the SCD/RQM article can help you trigger automated tests against the running system in the cloud. 

When we publish the Jenkins article, I'll make a note from this forum entry. 

permanent link
Sandra Santos (3212425) | answered May 08 '15, 12:50 p.m.
 Hi Michael,

Is this article you mentioned about Jekings and RQM already available ?

Thanks!

permanent link
Oskar Berreteaga (3325) | answered Feb 15 '16, 4:00 p.m.
Hi Michael,

I'm also looking forward to the article mentioned in this thread. Any chances to have it published in the near future?

Regards
Oskar

permanent link
Ulhas Shetty (1316) | answered Apr 27 '16, 8:17 a.m.
@Michael Elder:
 Any updates on RQM/Jenkins integration? Has the article been published yet?

Thanks,
Ulhas.

permanent link
Oskar Berreteaga (3325) | answered May 03 '16, 6:42 a.m.
Hi Ulhas,

We have integrated Jenkins and RQM within RQMexecutionTool.jar available on extras section of RQM download page.

In this case, you need to have java installed in the host where you are going to execute the .jar file and configure Jenkins item to execute a Windows batch command. You may find all possible commands on the readme file of the RQM execution tool. Here's the command line we used:

java -jar RQMExecutionTool.jar -tserId=4 -projectName="Jenkins" -publicURI=https://<your server address/qm> -user=<your user> -password=<your password> -suiteStepScriptIds=4,3 -suiteStepAdapterIds=1,1 -parallelExecution=true -exitOnComplete=true -printResultUrl=true

Once you are able to execute RQM test suites/test cases from Jenkins, you may need to process the result returned from RQM to Jenkins in order to synchronize or link RQM results with Jenkins test status/result.

Kind regards
Oskar

permanent link
Ricky Jay (28926) | answered May 06 '16, 1:11 p.m.
Hi Oscar,
Glad to know that you have successfully integrated RQM with Jenkins.

I am stuck at some point, If you can please answer.

In this case, you need to have java installed in the host where you are going to execute the .jar file and configure Jenkins item to execute a Windows batch command.

regarding above, I have installed java on the vm I have already setup Jenkins with RTC, and also extracted the RQMExecutionTool.jar file on the same machine. Now, i need to know below.

Is there any configure needed at Jenkins end or RQMExecutionTool will cater all the integration?
Where should i configure the tcer and tser to execute?
Would i have to create a text execution schedule in order to run tcer/tser when a new build deployed?

I have asked a question regarding this, It would be great if you can answer there as well.

https://jazz.net/forum/questions/221326/need-to-integrate-rqm-with-jenkins

Thanks

permanent link
Oskar Berreteaga (3325) | answered May 13 '16, 12:03 p.m.
Hi Humayun Malik,

Sorry for the late response.

Regarding your questions, you need to specify the RQMExecutionTool.jar execution parameters (RQM project area, login parameters,TCER, TSER, etc.) in Jenkins. For that purpose, you should have a Jenkins item which must be able to execute a Windows Batch Command. Batch command execution configuration can be added to your Jenkins item on its "Build" section from Build>Add build step>Execute Windows batch command. In our case, we have used a batch command that follows the following pattern (RQMExecutionTool download package contains a readme file with all available execution parameter options):

java -jar RQMExecutionTool.jar -tserId=4 -projectName="Jenkins" -publicURI=https://<your server="" address="" qm=""> -user=<your user=""> -password=<your password=""> -suiteStepScriptIds=4,3 -suiteStepAdapterIds=1,1 -parallelExecution=true -exitOnComplete=true -printResultUrl=true

You would also need to define a trigger to specify when to execute your Jenkins item. This can be defined in the item's "Build Triggers" section. Those triggers may depend on build or time events, for instance.

Hope this helps you with your integration.

Best Regards,
Oskar

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered May 13 '16, 12:31 p.m.
see this topic, https://jazz.net/forum/questions/132739/jenkins-polling-is-too-slow-can-rtc-notify-jenkins-immediately

near the end are two posts that point to RTC build triggers.. to start jobs on Jenkins on source changes.
one uses the RTC Build interface, and mine uses the changeset approach with a script to trigger whatever u want.
so you can launch a jenkins job via URL like the svn and git commit hooks.

permanent link
Ricky Jay (28926) | answered May 16 '16, 10:40 a.m.
edited May 16 '16, 10:40 a.m.
Hi Oscar,

Thanks for your help, I am almost done with the integration however build is failing due to below error,

C:\Program Files (x86)\Jenkins\workspace\Test4_RPT>java -jar RQMExecutionTool.jar -tserId=546 -projectName="Testing 1" -publicURI=https://xyz:0000/qm -user=abc -password=xyz -suiteStepScriptIds=634,635 -suiteStepAdapterIds=8,8 -parallelExecution=true -exitOnComplete=true -printResultUrl=true
'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Jenkins\workspace\Test4_RPT>exit 9009
Build step 'Execute Windows batch command' marked build as failure
Finished: FAILURE

I am using below batch command.

java -jar RQMExecutionTool.jar -tserId=546 -projectName="Testing 1" -publicURI=https://xyz:0000/qm -user=abc -password=xyz -suiteStepScriptIds=634,635 -suiteStepAdapterIds=8,8 -parallelExecution=true -exitOnComplete=true -printResultUrl=true

Seems like i haven't located java where it should be. Can you be more specific on locating java and RQMExecutionTool.jar

Thanks in advance.

permanent link
Oskar Berreteaga (3325) | answered May 16 '16, 12:06 p.m.
Hi Humayun,

Looks like you either have to install Java or, if already installed, it isn't set in the execution path. If you search for the error you get, the first answer will point you in the right direction.

Then, to check for a java install, open a cmd window and type 'java -version' without quotes. If properly installed, it should print something like the following:

java version "1.8.0_91"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_91-b14)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.91-b14, mixed mode)
As for RQMExecutionTool.jar, you may set its path in the Jenkins item advanced options, workspace field.

Regards,
Oskar

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.