It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Merge Projects in CLM V4

Mark Ireland (26115748) | asked Feb 13 '13, 9:54 a.m.
retagged Feb 15 '13, 2:48 p.m. by Laura W. Hinson (16126)
Hi,

we are looking to merge multiple projects into one new one, this will be on version 4.0. If required (And definite way to make it happen) we can look at merging into a V4.01 project on a different server.

Has anybody experience of doing this? Or better still how to do this?

Many thanks

Mark.

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Feb 13 '13, 10:03 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Feb 13 '13, 10:03 a.m.
Hi Mark,

for all I know there is no built in capability to merge projects on a single server, let alone across servers. A lot of users are waiting for both kinds of capabilities and there are work items and RFE's for this.

There is a capability to do a bulk work item copy/move between two project areas - I believe on one server: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/BulkMoveWorkItemsBetweenProjectAreas . There is distributed SCM that would allow you to copy SCM data. Ther is CSV export/import that can help with moving some work item data around. You can export process templates and create new projects from it. However, all in all, there are gaps  in what can be done and the more you want (e.g. work item history) the bigger effort you have to spend on developing API based tools. See http://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2012/08/01/uploading-attachments-to-work-items/ for some thoughts.

Comments
Robert Carter commented Jan 31 '14, 9:43 a.m.

What about using an archive strategy?  So, let say you have three LPAs and you want to merge them into one LPA.  Each LPA has a CCM, RRC and RQM component.

Could you copy the artifact containers for each LPA into the new LPA?
So, the new LPA would have a total of four sets CCM, RRC and RQM artifact containers three from the other LPAs and One set from the new LPA.  Then archive the OLD LPAs so they don't appear in the UI anymore.

Users could still search and reference to archived data and wouldn't be in UI to clutter?
Links from the old execution records linked to defect records, linked to requirements would still be valid?

So, you have not technically merged the projects, but you have created a new project that references old/archived projects artifact containers and you have new artifact contains for moving forward?

sam detweiler commented Jan 31 '14, 10:26 a.m.

I am working on a set of tools to help move/copy/merge RTC (non-lpa) projects for our company. 

the LPA approach will 'work', but you will have two (or more) RTC project areas to maintain.. timelines, teams, users, permissions, process structure.. 

in my current situation I am merging two projects with timelines/teams,categories, plans, and workitems, and one project with source and builds  all into a single RTC project (using parent child) , wrapped in an LPA project.  (so, 3->into one)
and migrating RTC versions 3.0.1 to 4.04 on different physical servers. 

workitem link fixup and workspace copy are the two long time periods.. 
link fixup takes 4 hours for just under 8,000 wi. 

we do not have changeset links yet. and do no yet workitem history (yet?)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.