It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What happened to a story's "Ready for Sprint Review" state in the scrum template?

Yvonne Dubreuil (133) | asked Feb 07 '13, 4:43 p.m.
edited Feb 07 '13, 4:45 p.m.
We started using the scrum template back in RTC 1.0.
We have been trying to adopt whole team approaches with developers, QA and documentation on the same feature team completing short development tasks, testing tasks and documentation tasks in a tight loop. Stories are marked "Ready for Sprint Review" when all the tasks are done and then the story is demoed to stakeholders at the sprint review meeting.
The RTC 3.0 scrum template now has a concept of completing development and then completing testing and then going directly to Done. Doesn't this encourage a "throw it over the wall" mentality!
We are updating our process template to include some of the new workitems that were introduced in RTC 3.0.  I would like to understand where this user story workflow change is coming from and will I lose out on other RTC 3 or RTC 4 features if I stick with the original workflow model with it's "Ready for Sprint Review".

One answer

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Feb 11 '13, 7:55 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
It seems someone "improved" the workflow for stories. I took a look at articles I wrote for V1 and V2 and noticed that while I referenced the Ready For Sprint Review in the V1 piece, I did not in the revised V2 piece -- so that state may have been missing for quite some time. Looking through the New and Noteworthy it seems the Scrum template was improved in version 2.0.0.2: https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/releases/2.0.0.2?p=news  

I don't have any actual data as to why the change was made. I don't have a V2 system available. Be sure to check the State Group mapping in the workflow to make sure the OSLC groupings make sense if you keep the old workflow. That's the biggest change in that time period I can think of where alignment might matter to your results. Some OOTB reports and queries may look for the new states, so sticking to the old model may require adjusting them -- again, since I don't have a V2 system installed anywhere I can't easily check this. The cleanest answer may be to insert a Ready for Sprint Review state ahead of Done.

Even in a cross-functional development team the exact same person may not implement and test the Story. Even with test-driven development of the code, there may be additional functional or performance related tests that need to be done. And even if you are fortunate enough to have a cross-functional team, they may not all be in one location, so being able to signal that a story has been implemented can trigger the testing queue to pick it up. It all depends on how you as a team operate. Hopefully the story carries all of the right details in its done criteria.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.