It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How does ReqIF import handle: custom attributes with lists of values; or custom attributes from multiple sources?

Andrew Codrington (17733135) | asked Feb 07 '13, 12:07 p.m.
Hi all,
If I import a ReqIF file into RRC, I've read and understood that any non-system-defined attributes will be recreated, even if I've already set them up in my project area:
Important: A ReqIF import creates types and artifacts during the first import into a project. Later imports of the same data update the existing resources, except for view column information. A ReqIF import only merges system-defined attributes and types. All other artifact types, attributes, data types, and folders are created in the project you are importing to if they have not been previously imported from a ReqIF file. For example, if you have a Priority attribute in the ReqIF file, and the current project already has a Priority attribute, the import creates another attribute that is named Priority2.
To work around this I've seen guidance that says I should consider importing ReqIF files to create any custom attributes. Understood.

Now, given all the above I'd love more detail on how these scenarios are handled:

1.  The external system (e.g. DOORS) has a custom attribute with an enumerated list of values. Will the full list of values be carried in the ReqIF file? If so, will RRC 4.0.x actually import that full list when it creates the new attribute? I guess another case to consider would be a system attribute that has been extended with additional values.

2. If there are two external systems (e.g. a DOORS system and another Jazz RRC instance) and my RRC instance and all three use a specific custom attribute (e.g. Special_Category) and I import ReqIF files from both external systems will I end up with Special_Category1 AND Special_Category2 or just Special_Category1?

I'm trying to plan out migration paths but I don't have a 4.0 system yet to test with.

Thanks,
Andrew

Accepted answer

permanent link
Tom Mutdosch (1761) | answered Feb 07 '13, 1:20 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Andrew,

1. Yes ReqIF will transfer over any enumerated Attributes as well as the full list of Enumeration Values (which are actually stored in the associated data type).  The only enumerated system data type is ArtifactFormats, which can not be extended.  So I don't think system types are a concern for you in this usecase.

2. Yes that would be the case.  You would have to do some post-cleanup (merge the attributes to a single one, and possibly doing a bulk edit of requirements to set the one single value in Special_Cateogry (based on the values from Special_Category1 and Special_Category2).

Thanks
Tom
Andrew Codrington selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Feb 07 '13, 12:29 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Andrew,

This is not a specific answer to your question as I have not personally tried the setup you are asking about but in general when a ReqIF export is created it will attach all the necessary artifact type, attribute, lists etc so that it is part of the new project.

Now I do know that if you do 2 separate imports from 2 different sources the custom attributes do get duplicated.

Now as an alternative idea, if the DOORS v9.5 and RRC v4.0.1 repositories have WAN access you could instead reference requirements in the DOORS repositories, rather than importing. These help topics explains how to set up the linking

https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_config_doors.html

https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_config_rm_consume.html

https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_assoc_rm_doors.html

Comments
Andrew Codrington commented Feb 08 '13, 1:24 p.m.

Thanks! This is very helpful.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.