It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Linux eclipse client installed with RTC v3.0.1.1 exits before finishing load

Vince Thyng (13723753) | asked Feb 04 '13, 5:29 p.m.
I have had limited luck getting the RTC client on Redhat linux to work.  Most of the time it exits while still trying to start after showing the loading screen and some progress loading.  I can't find any logs to check, and when I run the eclipse command from the command prompt, no messages appear as it returns control to the terminal prompt.  I have tried the xulrunner substitution to firefox 3.6.19, but that did not appear to improve the situation.  In the rare times I have gotten it to load, the process will almost always just disappear on me before I finish what I need to in it.  I also have version 4 installed and it does not seem to have the same problem.  However, since it can't talk to v3 servers, it doesn't help.  What can I do to solve this or where can I find the logs?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Vince Thyng (13723753) | answered Feb 05 '13, 2:21 p.m.
edited Feb 05 '13, 2:25 p.m.
FIXED (But I can't mark this entry as the full answer).  Thank you for taking the time to help.  This turned out to be 2 different issues.  I think what happened is my 4.0.1 client corrupted my v3 workspace since I used the same workspace folder.  Even though I fixed the xulrunner issue, I had also run the v4 client to see if that would let me connect to my v3 server.  Apparently eclipse can upgrade a workspace, but not necessarily downgrade it, so you should always be using different workspace folders for different versions of RTC. 
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/97578/rtc-301-failing-when-launch
https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Jazz%20Foundation#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=214214

Since posting my original message, I uninstalled 3.0.1.1, installed 3.0.1.5, and am directing the client to firefox-3.6.19, which a coworker used to fix his xulrunner issue.  I found a config file to change where the it was trying to use the workspace in:
/home/vthyng/.eclipse/ibm.rational.team.concert.client_1_7.5.0_1375461936/configuration/.settings
That worked!  For the benefit of others, I am including the debug info from when it was failing.  If you see this error when running the -debug -consoleLog flags, your problem may be a corrupt workspace.
!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 0 2013-02-05 09:53:48.295
!MESSAGE Unhandled event loop exception
!STACK 0
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException

Install location:
    file:/opt/ibm/TeamConcert3/
Configuration file:
    file:/opt/ibm/TeamConcert3/configuration/config.ini loaded
Configuration location:
    file:/opt/ibm/TeamConcert3/configuration/
Framework located:
    file:/opt/ibm/IBMIMShared/plugins/org.eclipse.osgi_3.5.2.R35x_v20100126.jar
Framework classpath:
    file:/opt/ibm/IBMIMShared/plugins/org.eclipse.osgi_3.5.2.R35x_v20100126.jar
Splash location:
    /opt/ibm/TeamConcert3/configuration/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher/com.ibm.team.concert_3.0.6.v20121026_2356/splash.bmp
Debug options:
    file:/opt/ibm/TeamConcert3/.options not found
Time to load bundles: 5
Starting application: 932
!SESSION 2013-02-05 09:53:43.915 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.fullversion=J2RE 1.5.0 IBM J9 2.3 Linux x86-32 j9vmxi3223-20120805 (JIT enabled)
J9VM - 20120718_116650_lHdSMr
JIT  - 20120620_24345a_r8
GC   - 20120605_AA
BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86, WS=gtk, NL=en_US
Framework arguments:  -product com.ibm.team.concert.product
Command-line arguments:  -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86 -debug -consoleLog -product com.ibm.team.concert.product

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 0 2013-02-05 09:53:48.295
!MESSAGE Unhandled event loop exception
!STACK 0
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
    at com.ibm.team.repository.client.internal.TeamRepositoryService.getTeamRepository(TeamRepositoryService.java:96)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.client.internal.TeamRepositoryService.getTeamRepository(TeamRepositoryService.java:130)
    at com.ibm.team.process.rcp.ui.teamnavigator.ConnectedProjectAreaRegistry.setStateFromMemento(ConnectedProjectAreaRegistry.java:1283)
    at com.ibm.team.process.rcp.ui.teamnavigator.ConnectedProjectAreaRegistry.restoreStateFromMemento(ConnectedProjectAreaRegistry.java:1400)
    at com.ibm.team.process.rcp.ui.teamnavigator.ConnectedProjectAreaRegistry.init(ConnectedProjectAreaRegistry.java:1169)
    at com.ibm.team.process.rcp.ui.teamnavigator.ConnectedProjectAreaRegistry.<init>(ConnectedProjectAreaRegistry.java:376)
    at com.ibm.team.process.rcp.ui.teamnavigator.ConnectedProjectAreaRegistry.getDefault(ConnectedProjectAreaRegistry.java:391)
    at com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui.internal.actions.ProjectAreaSelectionAction.<init>(ProjectAreaSelectionAction.java:94)
    at com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui.internal.actions.ProjectAreaSelectionAction.<init>(ProjectAreaSelectionAction.java:83)
    at com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui.internal.quicksearch.QuickSearch$2.<init>(QuickSearch.java:302)
    at com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui.internal.quicksearch.QuickSearch.createQuickSearch(QuickSearch.java:302)
    at com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui.internal.quicksearch.QuickSearch.<init>(QuickSearch.java:261)
    at com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui.internal.quicksearch.SearchBarTrim.fill(SearchBarTrim.java:36)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.menus.TrimBarManager2$STrimBuilder.renderTrim(TrimBarManager2.java:447)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.menus.TrimBarManager2$STrimBuilder.processAdditions(TrimBarManager2.java:378)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.menus.TrimBarManager2$STrimBuilder.build(TrimBarManager2.java:330)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.menus.TrimBarManager2.update(TrimBarManager2.java:109)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchWindow.updateLayoutDataForContents(WorkbenchWindow.java:3783)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchWindow.setLayoutDataForContents(WorkbenchWindow.java:3796)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchWindow.createDefaultContents(WorkbenchWindow.java:1114)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchWindowConfigurer.createDefaultContents(WorkbenchWindowConfigurer.java:625)
    at org.eclipse.ui.application.WorkbenchWindowAdvisor.createWindowContents(WorkbenchWindowAdvisor.java:268)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchWindow.createContents(WorkbenchWindow.java:1000)
    at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.create(Window.java:431)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$20.runWithException(Workbench.java:1032)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.StartupThreading$StartupRunnable.run(StartupThreading.java:31)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.RunnableLock.run(RunnableLock.java:35)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchronizer.java:134)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runAsyncMessages(Display.java:3468)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3115)
    at org.eclipse.ui.application.WorkbenchAdvisor.openWindows(WorkbenchAdvisor.java:803)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$28.runWithException(Workbench.java:1384)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.StartupThreading$StartupRunnable.run(StartupThreading.java:31)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.RunnableLock.run(RunnableLock.java:35)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchronizer.java:134)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runAsyncMessages(Display.java:3468)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3115)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2316)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2221)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:500)
    at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:493)
    at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:113)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:194)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:368)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:79)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:619)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:559)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:514)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1311)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1287)
Start VM: /opt/ibm/TeamConcert3/jdk/jre/bin/javaw
-Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.XULRunnerPath=/usr/lib/firefox-3.6.19/
-jar /opt/ibm/TeamConcert3/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.201.R35x_v20090715.jar
-os linux
-ws gtk
-arch x86
-showsplash
-launcher /opt/ibm/TeamConcert3/eclipse
-name Eclipse
--launcher.library /opt/ibm/TeamConcert3/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_1.0.200.v20090520/eclipse_1206.so
-startup /opt/ibm/TeamConcert3/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.201.R35x_v20090715.jar
-exitdata b8003e
-install /opt/ibm/TeamConcert3
-debug
-consoleLog
-product com.ibm.team.concert.product
-vm /opt/ibm/TeamConcert3/jdk/jre/bin/javaw
-vmargs
-Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.XULRunnerPath=/usr/lib/firefox-3.6.19/
-jar /opt/ibm/TeamConcert3/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.201.R35x_v20090715.jar
Daniel Toczala selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Alex Fitzpatrick (5583816) | answered Feb 04 '13, 10:37 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
It should word unless you are missing some prerequisite package, there is a technote for the xulrunner problem:

This is a little old but probably relatively useful:

For getting useful output on the command line try:
eclipse -debug -consoleLog

permanent link
Daniel Toczala (88211514) | answered Feb 05 '13, 7:44 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Feb 05 '13, 9:29 a.m.
I have run into xulrunner issues in the past.  That would be my guess.

WRONG -> A 4.x client should work with a 3.x server, just try to connect to the repository.
As pointed out by John below, this is wrong.  Clients are forward compatible, not backward compatible.

Comments
John Riendeau commented Feb 05 '13, 9:01 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

+1 for this being some kind of xurlrunner compatibility issue, but I don't think a 4.x client will work with a 3.x server -- https://jazz.net/forum/questions/101153/can-i-use-rtc-client-v4-with-rtc-server-v3

Daniel Toczala commented Feb 05 '13, 9:27 a.m. | edited Feb 05 '13, 10:44 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

John,

You are right. My mistake.  The clients are forward compatible.

Also found a link to one of my original xulrunner issues -> https://jazz.net/forum/questions/47436/xulrunner-issue-on-linux-mozilla_five_home-fixed

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.