It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Purpose of automated keywords

Rajat Singh (59833545) | asked Feb 04 '13, 1:55 a.m.
retagged Feb 11 '13, 8:55 a.m. by Laura Kuczarski (21137)
Hi Team

I am currently looking for more information on using the keywords in RQM 4.0.1.
While going through the help document, I understand that keywords can be created to reference manual scripts that can be re-used later.
Basically to add the redundant steps.

However struggling to find its usage with automated scripts.
I have created keywords and referenced it with RFT script that is imported in RQM.

Now when I create a new script and try to use the drag and drop of the automated script in the editor, nothing happens; I have also tried right clicking on the keyword to insert it at a given step but do not see any changes.

Do let me know if I am missing anything here.

Best Regards
Rajat

Comments
Reshma Ratnani commented Feb 04 '13, 7:21 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Rajat,

We do support automated keyword. Automated keyword is similar to regular keywords only difference is that while executing the script which has automated keyword, the step which has automated keyword reference will need corresponding adapter to execute.

Are you able to drag and drop regular keywords (Keywords which are associated to manual script) ?

Can you specify the exact steps you followed to create the RFT keyword?

Thanks
Reshma

Rajat Singh commented Feb 06 '13, 2:43 a.m.

Dear Reshma

I have integrated RFT and RQM and have imported the RFT scripts into RQM using the local adapter configuration.
Now I create a new keyword and link the RFT script to it.
Next I create a manual script with 2 manual steps and then want the next step to be the RFT keyword.
When I drag and drop this RFT keyword to the third step, nothing happens.

2 answers

permanent link
Padraig Mac Seain (1323) | answered Mar 04 '13, 6:02 a.m.
Hi,

Has there been any resolution to this? I am also seeing the same symptoms.

1: Created automated keyword and associated automated script (command-line script - apparently it will work with this too).
         2: Created manual script and dragged the automated keyword to a step in the test script. The automated keyword does not appear in the step afterwards.
         3: Dragged a manual keyword to a step in the test script. The manual keyword does appear in the test script afterwards.

Is there something else I am missing or is this a defect, or is whatever I am doing not supported?

Thanks in advance

permanent link
Leif Jansson (23134) | answered Feb 04 '13, 5:33 a.m.

Hi, is Keyword supposed to work with test automation (RFT)?

I thought Keywords was for reuse of test script steps ?

Example: you create a test script named "Log in" with e.g. 4 steps that you often reuse, then you create a Keyword "log in" and associate it with the test skript. Then when you create a test case + test script named "Log in using Crome", you drag the Keyword "Log in" to your test script and add a last step "use Crome".

When the log in behaviour change you can change the Keyword skript and it changes everywere it associated.

Don´t think this work with test automation !

BR

Leif

Comments
Stephane Leroy commented Feb 04 '13, 6:04 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Leif,

InfoCenter bring lots of valuable information :

• Automated keywords are explained here :
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rational.test.qm.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_create_auto_keywords.html

And yes
  • automated keywords do work with RFT:
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rational.test.qm.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_run_keywords.html
Though... this does not solve Rajat's initial concern (still to be clarified/answered).

Regards,
Stéphane

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.