It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

permission to change the collection of timelines/iterations separate for teams?

Michael Leithner (1131910) | asked Jan 30 '13, 11:22 a.m.
 Hello out there :)

We are using RTC 4.0.1 for our project. There are two teams, each of them have their own Timeline and iterations, as follow:
--> Timeline Team 1
------> Release 1
----------> Sprint 1
----------> Sprint 2
... etc..
--> Timeline Team 2
------> Release 1
----------> Sprint 1
----------> Sprint 2

thats because each team should be able to split their Timelines to Iterations/Sprints without affecting the other teams timeline.
If found the permission for "changing the collection of timelines" under Process->save Projectarea->change iteration structure in the Project Configuration Permissions.
Is that also possible to setup for Team Configuration?

We use an explicit Role to modify and setup the timelines for each team, so every team has one member with these permissions, but because the permission is only available under Project configuration (Team configuration has only the permissions to save the Teamarea) there is no really separation between these timelines.

Are we completely doing wrong or is there something i maybe missed? 

Accepted answer

permanent link
Vladimir Zahariev (1503) | answered Jan 30 '13, 1:38 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Michael,

Unfortunately this is not currently supported. Please have a look at these work items for more information:

Timeline permissions at the team area level (234324)

Allow team/timeline roll-based editing of iterations (174403)

Regards,
-Vlad
Michael Leithner selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Jared Burns (4.5k29) | answered Jan 30 '13, 1:51 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
As Vlad said above, this isn't supported. And unfortunately, it's something that we have no plans to support for technical reasons. Here's the explanation I gave a couple years ago, extracted from workitem 177403:

I appreciate the request and the reason you'd want this behavior, but I don't think it's something we can really implement. It would require a breaking change to our model, in the relationship between the project area, timelines/iterations, and team areas.
Currently, we think of the project area as owning all timelines and iterations, so those modifications happen at the project area level (we see them as modifying the project area itself). In order to get the behavior here, where being a project manager on a team area allowed you to modify the timeline/iterations, we would have to instead think of the timeline as being owned by a particular team area.
We can't really do this, however, because our model is really the opposite: team areas belong to the timeline and in fact *multiple* root team areas can be in the same timeline. This makes it impossible for us to think of any one team area as the owner for a timeline; there can be multiple teams and their relationship to the timeline is equal.
- Jared

permanent link
Michael Leithner (1131910) | answered Jan 31 '13, 7:56 a.m.
Thanks for your answers,
unfortunately thats exactly what i feared xD

Ok, that means there is no way to achieve that as we would like to and there are no plans to support it in the future, but the reason for this behavior is clear?

As a "workaround" i have to go with the solution to give each Teamleader the right to be able to edit all timelines and iterations.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.