It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Where are Execution States setup in RQM?

Michael Bunnell (6821819) | asked Jan 29 '13, 9:19 a.m.
I'm seeing some strange behavior after creating certain RQM project areas.  For a specific process template, the Execution States are showing up in Spanish.  The Locale selected each time is English. On the same server, creating a RQM project area based off of a different process template, results in the Execution States showing in English.  In both cases, everything else is in English.  It is not a browser issue from what I've tested so far.

Questions:
Are Execution States defined in the process template, or is it within the RQM application itself?  Does the process templates just make the call to create the execution states?  Is there possibly something within a process template that tells what language the Execution States are created in?  The screen shot below shows the execution states showing up in Spanish.  Just wondering if anyone has seen this before and what the resolution may be. - Thanks

Execution States in Spanish

Accepted answer

permanent link
David Chadwick (1511) | answered Jan 29 '13, 1:49 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Michael -

The state names (the text strings) are evidently initialized from property strings during the project area creation. They are not kept or maintained in the process template.  The text strings can be customized in line on the screen you have pictured by clicking on a string and setting it to whatever you want (assuming project area admin rights).  The assumption is that whoever created the project area did so with the language settings set to ES (Spanish).  You are free to adjust them to whatever you like but all users will see the state names as you set them up and not in their native language setting.  This means you could change "Con error" to "Completed with Error" if that was your desire.  Those users with their language setting set to ES would still see the English phrase "Completed with Error".

The reasoning behind this feature is to permit customized language local to a company's testing culture while maintaining a semantic meaning as generic as possible with middle of the road semantic state behavior.

I hope that this solves the mystery of the dual language screen for you.
Michael Bunnell selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Claudia Callegari (44439771) | answered Feb 14 '13, 5:28 p.m.
I would like to follow up this threat to discuss the root cause of the problem, and identify if this is an expected behavior or a defect.
After analyzing Mike's scenario, we finally realized that:
* if you create the RQM proc template using the web client, we have no issues.
* if you create the RQM proc template using the eclipse client, even with the -nl us command to run it in English, if your local regional settings are in Spanish, the RQM process template creation process automatically translates the states into Spanish.
This happens automatically, with no warnings, alerts, etc. So, of course, when you create new project areas based on that process template, the states are not translated.

It was difficult for us to find the root cause of the problem, and wondering if this is an expected behavior... it could be dangerous for people configuring the template.
I would like to be sure to know if I should raise a defect, or instruct my team to create process templates using the web client only, as a best practice to avoid this issue.
Thanks,
--Claudia

permanent link
Michael Bunnell (6821819) | answered Jan 29 '13, 2:11 p.m.
David - thanks so much.  While that helps short term (and boy am I embarrassed for not clicking on them to see if they were editable), I can tell you that I tested it multiple times by choosing English, and English (United States) as the Locale, and each time, the execution states were in Spanish.  That indicates to me it is something in the template itself.  But, if it is not set in the template, but rather by the Locale chosen, then I'm still stumped on why it is happening.  It is easy enough to change the values after project creation, but can you think of anything else I could check?

Thanks

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.