It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I make the 'permanently accept certificate' answer permanent?

Charles Cruse (1521213) | asked Jan 28 '13, 6:16 p.m.
We are at RTC 3.0.1.3.   Our server folks updated a web server over the weekend.  Since that time, we have gotten a pop-up that is labeled 'Repository Connection Certificate Problem'.  Several users click the 'Accept this certificate permanently' option, but when they shut down RTC and bring it back up, the pop-up still appears.  This would just be a nuisance except that one of our other plug-ins (zBuild 2.0) hangs when it tries to connect to the RTC server and it seems directly tied to the fact that we are unable to permanently accept the certificate.

Some people's machines have been able to permanently accept them and everything is fine for them.  It is not clear what is different about the machines that work versus the machines that fail.  I have a WinXP machine that fails, but another user has a WinXP machine that works.

3 answers

permanent link
Ernest Crvich (19211919) | answered Jan 28 '13, 7:14 p.m.
This doc may also be of some help for Charles' team wrt server config:

https://jazz.net/library/article/606/

Comments
Charles Cruse commented Jan 28 '13, 8:25 p.m.

Also, I notice that I have CRJAZ1887I messages in my error log that talk about failure to read certificates, but I don't know if that is related or not?

Charles Cruse commented Jan 29 '13, 9:43 a.m.

On a further note, it seems like only those who answered Accept Certificates Temporarily the first time they were asked encountered the issue with their later answer of Accept Certificates Permanently not being permanent.  Those who initially answered Accept Certificates Permanently were not asked again.

This sounds like a bug.

permanent link
Ernest Crvich (19211919) | answered Jan 28 '13, 7:09 p.m.
Charles' situation is coming from the Eclipse client, so I'm curious if the linked browser solution would have any effect with that.

I also wonder how RTC Java API developers are supposed to detect and handle this situation for programmatic logins (which is what is happening in Charles' case).  The plugin mentioned above is the one our team wrote, and I cannot see anything in the login interface to detect and react to certificate errors (since it's normally a UI popup, what happens for non-interactive logins?).  Oddly, RTC apparently just hangs forever in this type of background login attempt...AFAIK, no error and no timeout.

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jan 28 '13, 6:20 p.m.
you usually have to view and install self signed certs to get rid of the error on XP

http://www.poweradmin.com/help/sslhints/ie.aspx

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.