It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Reversing a change set did not undo added files or restore deleted files

David Dulling (18134) | asked Jan 23 '13, 6:36 p.m.
Hi I recently reversed a change set from my workspace and even though it worked very well on the files that had been changed / updated in the original change set, it did not delete the files that were added in the original change set. Nor did it revert the files that were deleted in the original change set Is this working as designed as I can't find any documentation that describes or warns about this behaviour Thanks David

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jan 26 '13, 3:06 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I checked in 4.0.1, and the reversal of file additions and file removals worked fine for me (in simple cases, where all the change set contained was a single file addition and a single file removal).   So first thing I'd check is what version of RTC you are using ... there were a number of bugs in the Patch mechanism that were fixed in 4.0 (the "reverse" operation uses the "patch" mechanism).   If you are at 4.0.1, please try to reproduce the problem, and then work with Rational Support to get the defect filed.

Comments
David Dulling commented Jan 28 '13, 3:20 p.m. | edited Jun 16 '15, 1:16 a.m.

Hi. I'm using 3.0.1.4 but this is the first time I've used the reverse option

I had no idea there were issues with this. I've tried it with 4.0.1 and, yes, it works well

Thanks for your response

Dave

Yaron Norani commented Jun 15 '15, 9:45 a.m.

Hi Geoff, Can you verify that once you reverse the CS the file restored with history?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jun 16 '15, 1:18 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I'm not sure what you mean by "restored with history".   A "reverse" generates a "patch" which you then use to create a new change set.   So the history of a particular file affected by the change set being reversed would show both the change, and then the "reverse" change, which should bring the file back to the state it had before the change (the same as if you had just checked in a new version that you created by copying the content of the file before you made the original change).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.