Systems and Software Engineering solution
Requirements · Architecture · Design · Collaboration and change management · Quality
Systems and Software Engineering (SSE) Solution 6.0
Getting started with the Rational solution for systems and software engineering
About the download: The Rational solution for systems and software engineering (SSE) is an integrated solution that helps teams implement Continuous Engineering principles as they specify, design, simulate, implement, verify, and validate complex products and the software that powers them. The solution offers an integrated set of capabilities that are used by leading companies around the world to predictably deliver competitive, high-quality products while meeting regulatory and compliance requirements.
The following functions and products are included in the solution for SSE:
- Requirements engineering with Rational DOORS Next Generation: Solicit, engineer, document, and trace requirements. Help your stakeholders define what they want, help them get it, and help your teams deliver when change inevitably occurs.
- Modeling and simulation with Rational Rhapsody and Rational Rhapsody Design Manager: Use visual modeling to validate requirements, derive architectures, and build embedded and real-time software.
- Planning and collaborative change management with Rational Team Concert: Integrate planning and execution, automate workflows, and manage change across diverse engineering disciplines and development teams.
- Verification, testing, and quality management with Rational Quality Manager: Use collaborative quality planning, automated testing, and defect management to achieve quality by design.
- Managing complex engineering data across various tools by using Rational Engineering Lifecycle Manager: Unlock engineering data from multiple tools to gain insights you need to make the best engineering decisions.
To learn how to use the latest configuration management and global configuration management capabilities, see these resources:
- Read the Workflow for using global configurations help topic
- Read the Workflow for using configurations help topic
- Watch the Introduction to configuration management video, which is part of a larger video series
- Try the configuration management capabilities in an existing cloud sandbox
- Evaluate the capabilities in your own environment: download the release, read the considerations, and obtain an activation key
Windows x86-32/64, 317.63 MB
Plan and prepare
For known issues with this release, see the release notes.
For supported platforms and requirements, see the system requirements.
To get started quickly with a small deployment by using the default topology and Apache Derby databases, go to the next step and install the server. Apache Derby deployments are limited to 10 users and do not support cross-domain reports.
Upgrading: If you plan to upgrade an existing deployment, see the Upgrading page.
Install the server and applications
To perform a web installation of the server, download the web installer for your platform (see the previous section), extract the .zip file, and start the launchpad (launchpad.exe or launchpad.sh, depending on your platform). The server includes Apache Derby to support up to 10 users. To enable more than 10 users, install DB2 or another supported database program.
To perform an installation from the launchpad, see this documentation topic.
If you need to install the server in an environment without access to the Internet, visit the All Downloads page, download a repository for the server and trial licenses, and install by using IBM Installation Manager.
Note: During the installation process, you have the option to install different applications. You do not have to install all of them; you can install only a subset of the applications. These options are for advanced installation scenarios, such as distributing the applications across multiple servers or deploying multiple applications of the same type within an application group.
For information about installing and managing client access licenses, see Managing client access licenses.
Set up the server
After the installation, you must configure the server by either running the Jazz Team Server setup wizard, which is available at https://fully_qualified_host_name:9443/jts/setup (where fully_qualified_host_name is the domain for your server, and 9443 is the default port number), or by entering setup commands.
Additional guidance: For help with the server configuration, see Configuring the server after the installation in the IBM Knowledge Center.
Install the clients
You can perform most tasks with a web browser. The client tools support advanced tasks and optimized workflows for specific roles or jobs, or provide additional functions such as integrations with other systems. Consider downloading and installing the Rational Team Concert and Rational Rhapsody Design Manager clients from the All Downloads page.
To learn about new enhancements in this release, see the New & Noteworthy page.
For help installing or using the Rational solution for SSE, post your questions in the forum. Rational developers and other community members monitor the forum and answer questions.
To explore the SSE capabilities, view the Systems and Software Engineering Solution Demo Series on YouTube.
The Rational development team uses Rational tools to develop its products. If you find a bug or have a suggestion for an enhancement with the SSE launchpad, visit the Jazz.net work items page and create a work item, ensuring that you specify Install > SSE Install in the Filed Against field.
For information from support, including FAQs, visit the IBM Support portal. You can configure the support portal to view information about specific products. You can submit a request for support with the launchpad against any of the products in the launchpad.
© Copyright IBM Corporation 2015